[SOLVED] XFX 5700xt fans going full tilt but not blowing out hot air anymore ?

WalkingHammers

Commendable
May 21, 2021
I've had my OC'd XFX rx 5700xt Thicc III for several months now. I used to be able to feel hot air coming out of the side grill of my Phantom 410, but now I can't and the temp readouts have been 5-10 degrees hotter than normal and the fans are running louder AF. Are XFX cards know to have cooling issues after some time of vigorous use? I know the earlier models had design flaws. Should I be worried about needing to open the card up and checking the heat sinks? My case has plenty of fans so I don't think it's an airflow problem.

Solution
Yeah but often these homemade diy method don't work lol. Just try to do what i told you, it's something you can do in literally 2 minutes and have no cost lol. If that doesn't do anything (as it probably won't but atleast you'd have that taken out of the possible cause) you might need to "open" the card up and do a deep clean/repaste on the chip. If air isn't blowning out to the side properly while the fans are spinning even faster it can only be dust accumulation or the paste on the card dried up therefor not conducting heat to the heatsink. Just because you see no dust by looking at the card it doesn't mean there aren't sediment of it to the bottom. You might be surprised once you open the card up and actually clean every bit of the...

WalkingHammers

Commendable
May 21, 2021
I blow out the whole case twice a year, got a compressor for that. I pulled out the card to see if something was obviously wrong, didin't see much dust accumulation. Room temperature is about, well, room temperature.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
What happens if you turn the case sideways (as if it was an open bench test)? Because if temps return to normal it might be the weight of the card (i used to own a 5700xt ultra thicc 3 myself and i know how bulky and heavy they are) is pulling down too much and it actually detached the heatsink from the dye after years of saggining. Try that and see how it goes. If they do go down as they were before it's that. If that's the issue you either unscrew the whole card and after a paste reapply rescrew everything together or you could get by by getting a gpu riser that will prevent your card to sag and therefor having gravity detaching the heatsink from the card. Probably not as effective but a gpu riser is only like 15 euro/bucks. Basically take your case and lay it sideways with the components side facing upwards (basically you should be laying the case on its right side).

For example the 5700xt from asus had all these issues, the heatsink wasn't screwed/mounted on properly, and once you'd plug the card in the pci e slot and let it sag, the heatsink would detach from the dye raising temps and therefor fan speeds. XFX didn't (the one with issues was the thicc 2, but you got the 3 so the issues they had have been adressed in the new model).

If not you can try to undervolting (i hope you are doing that already especially since you're ocing, if not do so please, 1.2v for a gpu it's ridicolously high and unnecessary). That always reduce temps on vega/rdna cards.

Last edited:

WalkingHammers

Commendable
May 21, 2021
I noticed how much the card was sagging when I first installed it, so I taped together some 5/8" nuts and an old library card. Put them between the top of the hard drive rack and the corner of the card case. Keeps it pretty level.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Yeah but often these homemade diy method don't work lol. Just try to do what i told you, it's something you can do in literally 2 minutes and have no cost lol. If that doesn't do anything (as it probably won't but atleast you'd have that taken out of the possible cause) you might need to "open" the card up and do a deep clean/repaste on the chip. If air isn't blowning out to the side properly while the fans are spinning even faster it can only be dust accumulation or the paste on the card dried up therefor not conducting heat to the heatsink. Just because you see no dust by looking at the card it doesn't mean there aren't sediment of it to the bottom. You might be surprised once you open the card up and actually clean every bit of the heatsink.

And please, just buy a 15 dollars gpu stand lol.

Last edited:
Solution