XFX 5770 Underperforming

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
Hey, I'm wondering if my 5770 is under performing or how i would find out. I got Fallout New Vegas and expected a big difference not only in FPS but in the graphics component as well.

Before with my old 4350 I would get about 20-30FPS on medium settings pre set, with high setting pre set for view distance, I Beat the game and enjoyed it.

I just picked up a 5770 put it in my machine uninstalled and installed the new drivers for it and tried playing New Vegas, I raised all the settings to the high pre set with 4x AA and 4x AF and I loaded my save file and was sadly mistaken in the performance increase, I Had fraps running and it was only about 30 when looking at the lucky 38 (I Was in the strip) and when down to 18 when looking to the other end of the strip. It was rather stuttery as well.

I Then tried to play CoH on my old 4350 it would run fine on low settings, I changed the settings to medium-high and my game was horrible. it would freeze every few seconds the FPS was crap and it was just horrible. (Loading times were awful as well)

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+ OC'd 3.1Ghz
1Gb 667mhz DDR2 Ram
XFX 5770 1Gb XXX Edition
160GB Harddrive (Defraged just before I got my new 5770 which was like 4 days ago)
Windows Vista (Windows 7 won't install and I Need windows vista)
500Watt PSU with 2 12v rails, (1st 12v= 25A, 2nd 12v=18A)
17' (I think) Acer LCD Monitor 1280x1024

I've seen people in videos playing Fallout new vegas with similar processors (Duel cores and such) with the 5770 and running it maxed out at a bigger resolution than I am with the only difference of having 1-2Gb of more ram than me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymGMNqJ8e7E

Exact card right there with similar processor and only difference is windows 7 and 4gb's of ram. Could that be my problem? Get more Ram and my problem is solved? Because I'm planning on getting more when I get some more money.

-Mithness

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
You're running Windows Vista. I recommend 4gb ram. 2x2GB G.Skill DDR3 can be found for around 36$. You should also check for the most recent drivers update for your graphic card. You can also nab a decent <90$ cpu from AMD. I believe you're a few generations behind since there's phenom, phenom ii, athlon, etc.

Mithness

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
I am a few generations behind but I cannot get a better one until I get a new motherboard (this is AM2 Socket only) also I have the latest drivers for everything including the 5770 do you think its just me not having enough Ram?