Xfx 5870 and i7 860 NEED HELP WITH REQUIREMENTS

dachicagobears

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Hello,

I am building a gaming computer (my first one) and need help with the sys req, i am not getting any answers from the geek squad, and i dont trust them with what they said so, i am going to be building a rig with the following components,

HAF 922 coolermaster case

BFG 550W GX power supply

EVGA p55 le mobo

intel core i7 860

XFX 5870 with eyefinity X3 20 Inch monitors

and OCZ 4 Gigs of ram

the only things i have bought are the psu and case, i want to know if the psu will handle everything together, the geek squad says it will handle it no problem, but i am not quite sure, i am still in the 30 day return policy, so i can return it and get a better one if need be,

thanks

RickyT23

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
I think it will work, likey if it doesnt work then just disconnect some of the case fans which come with the HAF 922. Better get a bigger one really. Maybe 600watts+

If you intend to overclock you might run into problems.

Also why get 3x20" monitors? 1 really good 26" monitor would surely be better, if for gaming.

I checked several references. The BFG 550 watt GX is a Huntkey power supply rated at 25C at peak instead of 40C. The combined total current (amps) on the +12 volt rails is only 28 amps. I would expect the +12 volt rail(s) on a high quality 500 to 550 watt psu to be rated at 40 amps. The BFG/Huntkey is the equivalent of a 450 watt power supply.

Here are the official power requirements for the ATI Radeon HD 5850 and HD 5870 video cards.

ATI Radeon™ HD5850 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

ATI Radeon™ HD5870 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.

500 Watt or greater power supply with two, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.

The monitors are not included in the power supply requirements because they are not plugged into the power supply. They are powered independently.