XFX 650 watt paired with RTX 2070

sokis

Honorable
Oct 27, 2014
I have an XFX TS 650 watt bronze PSU with i5 4690k haswell CPU can i add an nvidia MSI Armor OC RTX 2070 for 1440p or should i get a 2060?

Feb 9, 2019

Agreed. I bought a 1440p monitor some days ago. Have not arrived yet, but from my research, higher resolution is more demanding on the GPU. Me myself have a 6600k. Will be upgraded when the new Ryzen CPU comes. And the GPU when the next Nvidia series comes. The new AMD GPU (radeon VII) was a bit of a little disappointing.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
honestly very few of those are very accurate. many brands that sell junk psu's add in all kinds of extra power needs cause they know their crap psu can't handle what they say it does.

one of the best i have seen is on partpicker.com put your spec list into it and it'll show power needs. it'll be much lower and much more accurate than those other calculators out there. i always add about 20% or so to that number to decide how big a psu to get. so if it says the system will use 400w, then i add 20% and get at least a 480w psu. keep in mind though that it does not account for overclocking. so if you plan on that, you need to do some homework and figure out how much extra power draw will be used. reviews and benchmarks are the best place for this kind of info.

of course you can have extra power so that's not set in stone. most often the 500-550w units are the best bang for the buck buys and having 550w if it only needs 400w won't hurt a thing :)

Reactions: sokis