Question xfx 6600xt display driver keep crashing

WesBarkley

Commendable
Aug 5, 2021
About a month ago I bought a new xfx 6600xt and since then have had a multitude of problems I thought I fixed them all, but when I just switched to Windows 11 one of the problems came back. Whenever my computer enters sleep it has a chance to crash the display drivers; I get an AMD crash message saying "AMD Crash Defender has detected an issue with your display driver. To prevent a system crash or hang, the display driver is now operating in safe mode with reduced functionality. It is recommended that you save all work and close any open applications. A system restart is required to restore your graphics hardware acceleration." Previously I was on an rx 580 and had no problems, all my drivers are up to date, and Windows is up to date

My PC specs for reference are: Z690 Gaming x ddr4 motherboard, intel i5-12600kf, 32 GB of ddr4 ram, msi mpg a850g, and Windows is on a ssd.

Reactions: Rolando Temple

Colif

Win 11 Master
I would try running DDU in safe mode, remove GPU drivers, boot back into normal and get newest drivers again

Are you on 23.4.1?

Do you have latest BIOS?

Last edited:

WesBarkley

Commendable
Aug 5, 2021
I'm still getting the crash when the computer goes to sleep, when I just normally restart the computer and check the event viewer I get events 56 and 16398 I don't know if that is related.

Last edited:
I would recommend contacting XFX because this is not something that I've ever seen Radeon Drivers do and I've been using only Radeons since 2008. I've purchased ten Radeon cards in that span (2xHD 4870, 1xHD 5450, 1xHD 6450, 2xHD 7970, 2xR9 Fury, 1xRX 5700 XT, 1xRX 6800 XT) and none have ever behaved that way. The HD 4870s, the HD 5450, the HD 6450 and the RX 5700 XT are ALL XFX cards (I also owned an XFX GeForce 6200 long before those)

I have a feeling that there must be a hardware issue with the card itself because I also use sleep and hibernation on my desktop and my cards have always just worked. If the drivers were the problem, they would have affected more than just your card and someone like me would have seen the problems first-hand. I think that you should return the card to XFX for an RMA. There's literally nothing else that you can do because you've already done it all.

JohnKimble

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2015
I think this might be a common AMD or AMD 6600xt issue. I have the exact same issue with my MSI 6600xt where sleep/monitor idle sometimes causes my GPU driver to crash/timeout. I get no display until i reboot my pc.

TRENDING THREADS