XFX 680i LT and Southbridge cooler

billin30

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
The Southbridge cooler on my mobo is loud. Well not really loud, but more annoying. Gotta love those tiny little fans. I turned the thing down as far as it will go in the bios (50%) and though it helped a little, its still annoying.

I really dont wanna try and rip it out and put a new heat sink on there if at all possilbe. You think I could just unplug the fan and call it good. There is already a heat sink on there, is the fan really necessary?

Should I do that, or can you suggest a good heatsink that I could throw on there and maybe some tips on how to get it out, because I did my northbridge can and that was not fun.

Dammiz

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007

Hi, sry for the late reply :p i'm not sure if u still looking for a solution to ur problem. but I definetley would not pull out the fan and leave it running with just it's heatsink..

My 680ilt southbridge runs @ 50C Idling with the fan running on full :/ when I tried pulling out the fan the temps started rising dramatically till they reached about 75C then I just plugged the fan back in for fear of damaging the chipset :/

what I would suggest is using an aftermarket Chipset cooler such as the : Evercool Serpent Northbridge Chip Cooler NCA-610 they are very cheap (About 10$ off ebay) and quite effective and mean looking :) but just be sure that it doues not get in the way of your VGA..