Question XFX 7770 suddenly stops working on old motherboards.

Jul 13, 2019
Hello there, thank you for this space. I will try to be brief.

I have an XFX 7770 1ghz edition that I was using with an old rig that I had. The motherboard was a AM3 MSI 760GM-P33 and the PSU was a Cooler Master 460w.

I was suspecting that this PSU was not working correctly since I had to underclock the gpu to get it working with no BSOD or system restarts. Suddenly one day the GPU looks like is dead, the motherboard doesn't recognize it , not windows, linux, nothing, only the fan spins when I power up the computer. I tried everything. Including switching to a newer rig, a Gigabyte H61M-S1+i5 3570s WITH a new PSU. (I bought another PSU a few days back and I was eager to finally solving the problem, but I didn't work out).

Here's the interesting part , I have another computer in my home, an office one, it's a AsRock FM2A58 + AMD A4 with a old generic crappy psu. I test the GPU in this computer and the graphics cards works flawlessly. So after investigating many forums about overclocking and voltage mods I came to the conclusion that the old PSU damaged the voltage control of the card AND this AsRock motherboard somehow manage to get it working. Why this mobo? Because it's newer, from 2013 or so. And the other two are from 2010 and 2011 If I recall correctly.

What I'm looking it's someone from the community that knows about voltage mods and so on, I know about electronics, I repair stuff, but I thinks it's better to ask around before I touch anything in the PCB.

Thank you for your time and sorry for my english. Best regards.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS