XFX 780i Mobo Dead(?)

moosish

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Howdy all,

There are two parts to my yell for help:

Anyone know what exactly the orange light by the RAM signifies? (Not in the manual and I haven't been able to find it online). This is on as soon as I allow power to the PSU/Computer w/o it being booted.

When i attempt to boot, there is a half-second of power (fans begin to turn etcetera) but almost immediately after, the entire system loses its power.

What i've done to try to fix it:

Reset CMOS (taken out battery overnight, replaced)
Switched the RAM slots with only 1 stick
Only used 1 video card, switched slots and therefor reconnected
Made sure there isn't a problem with the case power button by using the screwdriver technique
Reseated the CPU/Heatsink
Removed power individually from each optional drive
Switched PSUs
Attempted and failed to boot it barebones

Specs:

q6600 2.4 (stock)
4 gigs G.Skill DDR2 800 (2 g [1 stick] as of now)
OCZ 1010 W PSU
2 x EVGA 9800 GTX (solo as of now)

I've waited for months to get the parts and am now really frustrated! Hope one of yall can help me! Thank you for your time!

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Stupid question, but you do have the 24 pin main power AND the 8 pin in the upper left corner connected?

Orange lights indicate no power in ram, should go out as soon as you power it on. (My 790i evga says anyway)

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Hehe it's not a bad board I just upgraded to it. I don't know what the green or orange light mean, but I think the blue one in Mobo power.

W/o the 8 pin on the mobo it will not boot....... ummm switch your ram sticks around make sure they're clean on the connectors. Every time I booted to Windows the other day it would bluescreen so I reset CMOS and stuff and then took out one ram stick and it worked. So I put it back in and it kept working I had thought it was a dead stick, but that's something to try. Try the CMOS jumpers too.

THE_MACHINE

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I just wanted to say I have the 680i motherboard (very similar to 780i) and I also have the orange light directly above RAM slot 4 and I have had it since I first got my board, and mine works fine.

mrguy17

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2008
I have the EXACT same problem as Moosish. Everythings connected, but power only runs through for a split second. Has anyone figured it out?

raisrx251

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I have the 780sli with a Q6700, 1 GTX 9800, 750 watt power supply and it is brand new. The thing started out decent for about 1/2 hour until I started getting the blue screen with it dumping the memory. I got it back gong thinking it was a hardware issue with the DVD drive. Everything was working fine and when I came back about a half hour it was off. Blue light is on and when I push power the orange light comes on motherboard right away. There is no FF code or any movement at all, it is just dead. I have followed everyones steps and I still can't get this going. Removed battery for half hour, swapped memory around only using one memory card, tried graphics card in first slot. I have also tried un-hooking all power supply cables. The only thing I have not done yet is remove the motherboard and heat sink to inspect. Does anyone out there have a suggestion or have run into this ? I will go back to searching evga's message board some more.

fxfear

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
Hi,

I had this problem when I first used this mobo, it would bluescreen every 20 min or so, the problem was the BIOS needs setting up to the specific speed of your CPU, also the ram i am using is OCZ reaper 1066MHz, now it is running at 1066MHz but the BIOS needs to be set at 333.3 MHz (Note: im running 4x1GB sticks) The ratio for the FSB:DRAM is 1:1 on mine but im running a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (1333MHz FSB). Something else that confused me is my ram is 2.1V spec but it wont run at 2.1V in the Bios, its currently running at 1.8V and i havent blue screened since.

Hope this helps :)

Nick

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS