Status
Not open for further replies.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
I just exchanged my 660 ti with 50 dollar for a xfx 7950 hoping to get a little better performance in gaming. This decision is based on the advice of the sales guy and the benchmarks online.

But I cannot believe how much my fps is dropped from using 7950 instead of 660 ti. I was getting 30-40 fps in smoke with 660 ti. and with the 7950, 30-40 fps seems to be the "normal" fps.

I don't understand this, I installed the drivers and everything properly, how is this happening?

Solution

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Sorry.

In Battlefield 3.
Maxed out everything, 1920 x 1080.
cpu = i5 3570k, psu = gs700. ram = 16gb.

is the same specs i had with my gtx 660 ti. And I have no idea why this is the case.

chargedgod

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Hi..The HD 7950 is Superior to GTX 660Ti in EACH & EVERY RESPECT FROM RAW PERFORMANCE TO DRIVER TO PRICE...Don't have any confusion on that-YOU have made a very good choice.Now as per your issue:-

1) Download ATIMan Uninstaller
2)Download Driver Sweeper
3)Tuneup
4)C Cleaner
5)Download Catalyst 12.11beta11 & Cap 2

1)Turn Off UAC
2)Restart
3)Start ATIMan--->Use option 'A' for Automatic
4)System will restart automatically after driver removal
5)Select 'C' option --->Next Gen Mode from the ATIMan window that will pop after reboot in previous step.This option will clean trace files.
6)After cleanup..select 'Q' to quit
7)Now start Driver sweeper-->ATI driver--->clean
8)restart when prompted
9)Start TuneUp One click and clean
10)Start CCleaner-->Options Settings--->Select secure deletion--?complex overwrite 7 pass+wipe alt data stream+cluster
11)Except browser cookies & user assist history or like wise select almost all in cleaner-->windows/Application Tab
12)Now clean
13)Restart [***The procedure may seem exhausting but it's worth it.Your PC doesn't contain any possible junk conflicting non required files***]
14)Repeat 9-13 once again
15)Install 12.11b11
16)restart
17)Install cap 2
18)re enable uac
19)restart
20)Play your game at 60fps constant-If possible delete the config file of game /shader cache once .

HAPPY GAMING

Mostly normal. BF3 is still a very intense game.

Is this in multiplayer or single?
If this occurs in large MP maps then consider a CPU OC.

But to be totally honest, maxing out EVERYTHING in BF3 you can't really expect to get much more FPS.

Consider this : The previous gen single GPU cards could not run BF3 in HD above a constant 30FPS maxed out AT ALL. So yes, thats what you can expect from your card.

Drop AA a bit if it bothers you or get a faster card.

their latency testing method is atypical and unverified. Its an interesting concept that should be explored, but until other sites investigate and verify this approach, as well as if its noticeable, its not worth much. the whole 99th percentile thing looks very biased.

Also very suspicious they tested all new games instead of established ones but included skyrim, and not battlefield 3. Not something I'd trust when its contrary to every other review. Still the cards are very close, so not like it matters. Silly thing to site when the question is about BF3 and they purposefully left it out though

My initial reaction too, till I did a few tests myself. Sometimes I was even able to notice the slow down myself. This in BF3, Far Cry 3, Rage.

I am not saying this is concrete. But I refuse to accept statements like the above. I still agree the HD7950 is the better card IMO but my point is also that the GTX660ti should not be discounted YET.

This 99th percentile benches could become the norm and from what I have read(every single comment and reply to date), their methodology is pretty damn concrete, just the idea is still foreign...

BUT as I said I have seen these latency spikes myself. And when you crank up settings where you are just hovering above 30 FPS, a sudden drop to 20 FPS is VERY noticable.

EDIT : Let me just make this clear, I used fraps and graphing tool to verify, did not just use my naked eye...

I fully agree BUT I feel there is still a lot of fine-tuning to be done to convey the data in an article. Its close to impossible for most people to realize the real world implications of the 99th percentile metric.

:bounce: :lol: :pt1cable:

We got a badass over here with HWCompare!

Now that's a new one!!! Haha...

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
It doesn't seem like anyone is still trying to help you find an answer hihiip, here's what I would do: begin by overclocking your card according to the guide of your choice (YouTube has some great tutorials, if you'd like one, I'd be happy to post one, just ask) Make sure to test with a program like 3DMark 11 and monitor your temperatures with your overclocking program (I'd recommend MSI Afterburner). Once you have achieved this, go for a quick processor overclock to maybe 4.4 GHz if you have not yet overclocked. This will allow you get the most performance from your card.

I currently run a 4.4GHz i5 3570k with an Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII TOP and I can average 75-90 FPS in Battlefield 3 on ultra at 1080p. The key to good performance from an overclock is the highest stable speed you can achieve at the lowest possible voltage. This may take a few hours, but it is more than worth it in the end.

PLEASE ask if you have any more questions, I hope I was able to stay on topic and help you with your issue. Note* make sure you uninstall anything relating to AMD's Catalyst control center/your graphics card drivers and install the latest from Nvidias website.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Actually I think that's the problem, when I was testing the game i had both amd and nvidia driver. I just uninstalled the nvidia and amd drivers, and im not sure how to install the latest amd driver for my card...

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

should I get the beta driver with net 4 support?

and can i just install the beta driver?

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
You could, but you might just want to stick with the 12.10 driver just for the sake of newer game stability if the full driver isn't released for a while. It's your call, but the Catalyst Software Suite might be the smarter option.

hihiip201

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
thanks for you guys help. So i just installed the beta 12.11 driver, and im getting performance that's a bit better than before. But still not as good as 660 ti let alone better.

for instance, for 660 ti when looking at open envoriment with scope, i actually have increase in fps. but with 7950 i actually get lower fps.

im gonna try the catalyst software suite driver and see if it gets better.

honestly i don't know why some people go raging when they see the review done by TR. all they did was present the data they get which is fact and people calling they being bias bla bla bla. Hard OCP acknowledge what TR did but they do say they can't carbon copy Scott method. they say if they must do i it must be something better or an improvement over what TR did (well at least that is what they said). and i think this is what Ryan at PCPer are trying to do:

Scott over at Tech Report started doing that this past year and found some interesting results. I encourage all of our readers to follow up on what he has been doing as I think you'll find it incredibly educational and interesting.

Through emails and tweets many PC Perspective readers have been asking for our take on it, why we weren't testing graphics cards in the same fashion yet, etc. I've stayed quiet about it simply because we were working on quite a few different angles on our side and I wasn't ready to share results. I am still not ready to share the glut of our information yet but I am ready to start the discussion and I hope our community find its compelling and offers some feedback.

At the heart of our unique GPU testing method is this card, a high-end dual-link DVI capture card capable of handling 2560x1600 resolutions at 60 Hz. Essentially this card will act as a monitor to our GPU test bed and allow us to capture the actual display output that reaches the gamer's eyes. This method is the best possible way to measure frame rates, frame times, stutter, runts, smoothness, and any other graphics-related metrics.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-New-Graphics-Performance-Metric

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS