XFX 7950 doesnt get detected. Fans are spinning.

vlooi

Reputable
Sep 10, 2017
Hello,

A few weeks ago i started a PC build project. After putting everything together i found out that the graphicscard (XFX 7950) doesn't work through its HDMI port. So i tried the DVI port and the display ports. None of them works. The card itself seems perfectly normal, both fans are spinning and no physical damage to be found. I was wondering if its possible that all the ports are broken.

Here is what i did: I tried multiple HDMI, DVI and Display cables, even DVI to HDMI. After finding out that my motherboard had onboard graphics i went on and put the VGA cable in that port and my screen instantly shows up. Then i found out that the card itself doesnt show up at all in the taskmanager. I've tried to install the dirvers and rebooting but even then, nothing shows.

I also checked if my BIOS is set to PCI, and it is. Then i tried putting it on PEG, but that also doesnt work. Im sure that the motherboard PCI lane works properly because i tested it with my own GTX 1060. The HD 7950 won't work in my own rig either.

Here are the components for the build project:
XFX HD 7950
FX 8370E
GA-78LMT-S2P rev 5.0
16GB DDR3 RAM @1600
Coolermaster Silent Pro 600 watts.

Here are the components of my own rig:
Asus GTX 1060 ROG STRIX
i7 7700k
MSI Z270 SLI PLUS
16GB DDR4 RAM @3000
Coolermaster V650 650 watts 80plus gold.

Does anyone know if i missed out on something? Thanks in advance!

XFX_Support

Distinguished
Hello, Thank you for creating this ticket with the XFX Technical Support Team. By the way, my name is Mark at XFX and I’m glad to assist you with your concern.

Have you tried plugging in the 6pin and other 8pin power connector?
Has it ever worked?
Have you tried it in any other computers?
Have you tried shutting it all down and resetting/removing the CMOS battery?

vlooi

Reputable
Sep 10, 2017
Hello, yes, i have connected both 6 pin connectors in the card, therev is no 8pin in it. It has worked before yes, and then it suddenly went black. I have tried the card in my own computer but it doesn't work in that one either. I even plugged my GTX 1060 into the project pc and it works fine so i know that there is nothing wrong with the motherboard.

First i used the jumper to clear the CMOS, but i didnt get any response from the card at all. Then i tried to remove the CMOS battery and i reinstalled it after 5 minutes, but still i get no response from the card. I think that the displayports are all broken somehow because the fans are spinning. I know for sure that the card is over the warranty.

vlooi

Reputable
Sep 10, 2017
Yeah, that would be a problem i think since im not the original buyer of the card. I got it second-hand.

XFX_Support

Distinguished

Yeah that would be a deal breaker. I cant do much for 5m year old 7000 series with non-transferrable warranties.

Sorry friend