XFX 7950 HDMI port loses signal. Help!

toazted

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
Before I begin.. I should probably list my computer specs. Bare with me, I'll try and eliminate the possible problems that I see. I'll also note that everything is running clock speeds. I have not OC'ed anything.

Processor: AMD fx-8350
Motherboard: ASROCK 990 extreme 3
PSU: 750 watt Corsair
GPU: Radeon XFX 7950 Double D 3GB DDR5
RAM: 8GB G-Skill Ripjaw
Aftermarket Cooling: Corsair H60

I'll also note that my system temps idle at about 30 degrees celcius and at full load usually hits around 50 degrees celcius.

The Problem:

I bought this system a week and half ago. Everything's been running great until now. Basically my GPU's HDMI port just dies out of nowhere. I lose signal and there's no getting it back. I run my computer to a new 39" Samsung LED HDTV. I haven't had a problem ti'll now. I've read about the fact that using multiple display ports can cause issues but I only run the one screen.

It all started last night when I was playing guild wars 2 I left my computer and came back 10 minutes later and my tv was displaying to me that my resolution did not match. My screen was blank and I had to restart my system. Now this is odd.. because my tv's resolution is 1920 x 1080 which is what my computers resolution is also set to.

I ignored the issue and restarted my computer. Now a few minutes later I boot up guild wars 2 and not even 10 minutes in my screen goes blank and it says there is no output signal. So in other words the HDMI cable is not plugged in and it cannot read my computer signal. This keeps happening over and over and I have to hold the power button down on my computer and restart. It works for a short while and then happens all over again.

I ran netflix all night last night after this occured without a single issue. As soon as I play guild wars 2 this happens within about 10 mins without failure.

What I've tried:

I tried alternate HDMI cables.. infact I also unplugged my computer and plugged my laptop into that same HDMI cable and the laptop worked. Could it be that the vid cards overheating? I checked the fans and everything was working. ( my vid card had two fans on it ) I also checked the temperature of the machine and it wasn't out of the norm.

I guess my last question is should I RMA my XFX 7950? Did I get a dud hdmi port on my GPU?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Very simple disconnect the cable turn off the tv reconnect the cable voila issue resolved, this is an HDMI thing not a pc issue.

toazted

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013

I've tried this and it doesn't solve the issue! When the loss of signal happens I've even tried disconnecting the HDMI from my TV into another monitor and it can't read that the computers there either. I'm at a loss. I really think the HDMI on the GPU is just broken. As for the DVI part, I haven't tried because I don't have any DVI cables. With that said I need this HDMI to work because I don't want to go out and buy speakers since the DVI doesn't transmit sound.

toazted

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
I looked around and couldn't find a cable unfortunately. I might be able to go grab one in a bit. I don't really want to pay for something I won't use later though. Now I noticed that this only happens in Guild Wars 2... I've been playing Dishonored for a half hour and haven't had any signal loss. I don't understand what's going on. EVERY program worked fine for the last week and a half. Oh the joy of computers.

TRENDING THREADS