XFX AMD Radeon 7870 Ghz Edition DD overheating?

Linc_oln

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017
Under heavy load, my 5 year old graphics card is finally getting much hotter than it was when I first got it. Using Open Hardware Monitor shows that my graphics card has run temps up to 91 degrees. About a year ago I re-seated the cooler and changed the thermal compound (the old stuff was hardening) and the temps went down a few degrees, but nothing significant. I have also cleaned it quite frequently, despite it not really needing it. While I am buying a more up-to-date card in the future, I would like to keep this one alive until then. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Solution
I use IC diamond 24 and have used Gelid Extreme, both are also very good. Tom's has a comparo that you can search for, just be careful about the conductive TIMs.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
check your fan speeds. My 4 year old MSI 780TIs fans died on both cards in the last year. On one card both fans croked, and on the other card 1 of the fans croked. They were easy fixes, and with new TIM the cards run good again.
I suspect, even if the fans are still working, that you need to replace the TIM. It dries and loses effectiveness over time. About a half hour to pull the heatsink/fan combo and then cleaning the old and replacing with new.

Linc_oln

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017

Temps inside my case are fine, its just the card that's overheating.

Linc_oln

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017

Ambient temps are normally cool, because I live in the bay area (California), but because it's Summer ambient temps outside are around 33 degrees. Bleh. But my house temperature almost always stays at a nice and cool 18.

Linc_oln

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017

Both of my fans are performing almost as well as the day I got the card. The TIM was replaced in late 2016, when I was doing some monthly cleaning.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
Any ability to move some case fans around to direct some cool air directly on the card? If you used good TIM, your fans are going good, and the heatsink isn't clogged with dust, then you've reached a point where that GPU is needs to be dialed back. Either you dial it back, or the GPU bios will dial it back by throttling.

Linc_oln

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017

Heh, all of the available slots are filled with fans. 3 intake fans on front, one exhaust on back and two on top. Another issue is that my card is voltage locked. I can't change the clock settings (well, i can, but that leads to horrible artifacting and my screen jumping all over the damned place) nor can I change voltage settings. Adjusting power limits does absolutely nothing.

Completely locked at 1.0 GHz.

Linc_oln

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017

My fan speed goes to 100% automatically when the temps are over 70. I have already tried manually changing to 100%, but while the fans do kick off and keep going, the temps only lower by about 5 degrees.

mgallo848

Commendable

Are they over 70 while gaming or when the PC is idle?

70 would be very normal while gaming. If it's hitting 70 when idle than either the card is dying or you didn't use enough thermal paste and/or the heatsink isn't seated properly and may not be touching the GPU as well as it should.

Linc_oln

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017

My temps are at 50 on idle. Under heavy load (GTA V normal settings) I've seen the temps reach up to 92. Constant temperature, the fans are what keep it from getting any worse.

Linc_oln

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017

I normally apply a generous amount. I ran out last year (I was using some on a few other systems) and the last syringe I ordered was completely solid. I'll have to order some more.

dudmont

Reputable
Feb 23, 2015
As I've read the recent updates to this thread, I think you can fix this problem with high quality TIM applied properly. Those temps at idle, are, as stated, high, leading me to conclude that this problem is solvable.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

One of the best around is Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, but MX-4 is cheap, readily available and still very good.