XFX AMD RADEON R7 250X please HELP!

pliktro

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
Hello my first post here!
I have bought a new VGA card " XFX AMD RADEON R7 250X R7-250X-ZNJ4 CORE EDITION 1GB DDR5 PCI-E " and i have black screen on power on. I can not enter BIOS not even a post screen nothing.
My motherboard is a " ASUS M4A78 " with CPU " AMD Phenom II x4 955 " and 8 GB Ram.
The PSU is a " AcBel ATX-550CA-AB8FM 550Watt "
So my question is : What is wrong?
My mobo has a pci ex x16 2.0 and the card is 3.0.
I thought pci 3.0 cards are backward compatible isn't it?
The 6pin power adapter is connected on the card as needed for extra power and i think the PSU is ok.
I only hope the card is defect and i have no compatibility issues.
Anyone can say something about that. Maybe i do something wrong or did i miss something?

pliktro

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015

Yes, yes and yes.
I removed the card to insert my old card over 20 times now. Cause i try to make changes in Bios and i dont have onboard VGA so i have to insert my old VGA card.

Woody1999

Admirable
To be honest I would only use that power supply as a paperweight, I wouldn't trust it for anything else. It's a really little known manufacturer, and it might not even supply the power it has written on the label.

I would get an XFX or Seasonic 450W or up power supply of I were you. Avoid anything from Corsair with the words CS or CX in front of it, and most things other than XFX, Seasonic and SuperFlower.

Woody

pliktro

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
So you think my problem is only the PSU? I have this PSU over 7 years without any problem. 6 HDD, 1 DVD-R, 1 CD RW, 1 PCI Firewire card plus a PCI SATA 3 card and everything work super. Only this new VGA card has problem.
Do you suggest to change PSU to resolve my problem?

Woody1999

Admirable
That might be your problem! You have so many drives and cards attached to your build with a pretty power hungry board and chip, a 550W power supply might not be enough. I recommend getting an XFX 650W or a Seasonic 620W power supply. Stay away from Corsair, and EVGA at this level.

Woody

pliktro

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015

Thank for trying to help but i disconnected everything to make sure that it is not the PSU. I just leaved only 1 HDD (operating disk) and still nothing.
This is what confuse me. Nothing connected on the mobo. I don't wanna buy something without be sure that this is the problem or else i would already get a new PSU.
Appreciate you help but i dont think its the PSU.

P.S I forgot to mention i removed all my Ram and swap the sticks, still nothing. :(

Woody1999

Admirable
Hm, maybe not then...

We can conclude that the monitor is working, the cable is working, the PSU is working....well, the entire rest of the computer is working..

Your only hope might be to take back the card. Save up a little money and get yourself an R7 260X instead, it's a helluva lot better than the 250X and only about £20 more expensive. I got mine for £60.

Woody