XFX and AMD Cuddle Up, NVIDIA Frowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
If you make Intel motherboards, its simply a good idea to make AMD CrossFireX compatible cards to go in those same motherboards. The switch to Intel (which was done first) also makes good sense, especially since you don't want to get left in the dust while everyone else is producing X58 motherboards and you have to wait for Nvidia to release its Core i7 chipset, if they ever do.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]fsdfdfsfIf you make Intel motherboards, its simply a good idea to make AMD CrossFireX compatible cards to go in those same motherboards. The switch to Intel (which was done first) also makes good sense, especially since you don't want to get left in the dust while everyone else is producing X58 motherboards and you have to wait for Nvidia to release its Core i7 chipset, if they ever do.[/citation]

I remember reading that Intel deliberately made sure nvidia couldn't do i7 capable boards, because they weren't allowed to aquire a sli license. I'm kinda guessing that's why they now are allowed to do so, but it also must mean that nvidia devs are at a significant disadvantage as it must take a lot longer to develop a chipset than it does to add a sli feature - since the latter is technically possible as soon as drivers allow it. So I'm guessing they've skipped trying to catch up with x58 and aiming for being done before intels mainstream chipsets, or completely skipping this generation.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Diversifying partners is always a good move. Putting all your eggs in one basket and watching a company go under is never good.

The problem with being stuck between two competing companies is that tehy can try to pressure you, or you end up becoming a go-between or wrapped up in scandal from it. Having one partner is just easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS