XFX, Gigabyte, HIS Also Roll Out Radeon HD 7990 Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ1217

Honorable
XFX should really stop naming cards. triple dissipation? Come on, if you're gonna make crappy low quality cards (You can't deny that they have massive QC issues) at least don't give it a corny name.

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
XFX is the WORST company ever. Cheap quality, poor cooling and poor customer support what else. XFX lost the reputation being the best quality graphics card manufacture to worst manufacture. What happened to them with in a few years ??

Re XFX: Speaking of the DD editions (I've never owned a "Core" model), I like the construction quality, and the materials, like aluminum shrouds instead of cheap plastic. Up to the HD7870 stay relatively quiet too. I haven't yet had one die, and recently sold a HD5770 that was probably at least 3 years old.
Then I got a HD7970. Oops. Noisy fans (including some rattling), very hot-running, and WORST, unresponsive support. The latter in particular is why I got a RMA on it, and will be replacing it with a Gigabyte. While not on my "Do Not Buy" list (it takes outright incompetence, e.g. Diamond, or dishonesty, e.g. CM, to make that list), they will no longer be one of my preferred vendors until I've become aware that their support has improved.

Onus I agree. I had the 5770 egg cooler with the double lifetime warranty and it was quite nice actually. This may be incorrect but I feel there was a really big change once they dropped the double lifetime warranty completely. It's almost like they do not care at all anymore.

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
For the people complaining about XFX in this instance....umm...why the f*$k does it matter? It's all the same card. There's no reason to care one way or another. I would go with Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI as I've dealt with their customer service flawlessly.

shadowfamicom

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I actually have never had a problem with XFX cards (atleast on the Nvidia side). My 7950 GT, 9800GTX+, 280 GTX and 295 GTX are still running just fine. Hell I had a problem with my 7950 GT back in 2006 when I my computer got stuck on post overnight (hit restart instead of shutdown the night before) and the whole computer heated up massively. The fan on the 7950 GT half melted off... but still spun and still works. Never used an XFX AMD card though.

Since people are negative on XFX here, I will have to say that I have currently 4 cards from them all with lifetime warranty and no issues. Their warranty works as well since when my sons HD4890 cooling fan failed (after almost 3 years) they replaced the card with HD6850.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I remember when flagship cards were $499 and more people could afford them with out going nuts...
I can't see spending $999+ for a flagship video card.

That's the point I made lifetime and double life time is gone all gone.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

Ironically, a lot of people can. Myself for example, spent $550 on a 7970, then $900+ on a 690... Thinking of dropping it for a pair of Titans. I'm not loaded or anything. But my computer is one thing I tend to spend money on. Some people spend it on cars or something. About the only thing I really spend big money on is computer parts. Wife, two kids still win the priority obviously but when it comes to buying toys, I stopped with the consoles of 10-year-old garbage hardware and focused on my PCs.

I know some of the most broke people in the world spending $5k+ on a set of rims for their car... To me that's insane. It's all about priorities and what is important to the person.

ALTHOUGH, I do agree that the current $1k price for these elite cards is really pushing it. $600 was steep enough IMHO...

allanitomwesh

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
I want Twin Frozr on this thing.Stock build from all of you?Seriously? Is it not known that stock cooling is pathetic on ALL AMD reference cards?Asus!!!Where is Direct CU in tripple slot?Ridiculous.

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
i had an XFX 295 that did run hot (but that is because the person I brought it off was an incompetent IDIOT and didn't apply paste correctly (THERE WERE GREAT BIG FREAKING HOLES WITH NO THERMAL PASTE ONE THE GPU)
once I did clean it up after getting annoyed with its rather high running temperatures I managed to make it loose about 10 degrees of heat
that gave me a massive overhead for overclocking boosting its performance to even higher levels

Still lifetime on my DD HD7950!

Apparently there aren't any differences yet, if they're all reference. Hopefully individualized versions will come out in the next few weeks.
Not that I'll be buying one...getting a single HD7970 was enough pain in the wallet.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Niels, please don't describe these cards as having 6GB "total memory" as it might
confuse people into thinking this is somehow comparable to Titan's genuine 6GB.

The 7990's RAM is split 3GB per GPU, so the host system only sees 3GB overall,
not 6GB. Thus, the 7990 should always be described as a 3GB card.

Otherwise, it's just like those on eBay who describe a quad-core 3GHz CPU as
being a, "12GHz system".

Ian.

in light of recent reviews and testing methods I don't know who would be stupid enough to buy and AMD dual GPU setup? We always new crossfire problems were there, now there is a confirmed way to measure it (FCAT). They really need to fix that fast in order to sell these cards, that's IF it can be fixed in the drivers. Until then, AMD for single gpu only. oh, and don't tell me radeonpro, its not a fix, its a workaround that lowers overall performance anyway.

???????

Perhaps it's canada only where they did that,

BRB

Heres what I found

XFX Discontinues Double Lifetime Warranty with New Radeon Graphics Cards

Cards with Double Dissipation (Double D) or whose product number ends in "R" get Lifetime warranty if registered within 30 days.
All other cards (ex: HD 7970 Core Edition; FX797ATNFC) get 2 Year Warranty

Well it used to be North America only and they as you correctly write just certain cards now.

Status
Not open for further replies.