XFX HD 7870 not waking monitor from sleep mode

CaptainSiscold

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014
Hello all,

Lately I've been having some trouble with my computer not waking up from sleep mode. I have an Asus VS239H-P monitor hooked up to one of the DVI-I ports on my XFX HD 7870 GPU with a single-link DVI-D cable. It seems like if the system is in sleep mode for long enough for the monitor display to go off, it frequently won't wake up again, showing only a black screen before saying, "DVI No Signal" and turning off again.

Sometimes the problem can be fixed by turning off the monitor, unplugging the DVI cable, replugging it, then turning the monitor back on. Other times (happening more and more, it seems), I need to hard reboot the system.

I'm running the latest stable drivers from AMD (Catalyst version 14.9), and Windows 8.1 is fully up-to-date. I'm at a loss as to what is causing the problem, and I don't really have the money at the moment to upgrade my graphics card (been eyeing an MSI GTX 970, but that's not happening for another couple months minimum). Any ideas?

System Specs:
CPU: Intel i5-4430
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H
GPU: XFX HD 7870 DoubleD Edition (not overclocked)
RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1600
PSU: Corsair CX500M 500W

Solution
Either the check for the bend cables, install older drivers atleast to 14.4 or the graphic card is faulty. In most of the cases it is also the power supply failing to provide power to the graphic card on wake up but that is good power supply. I strongly suggest try the card in another system to rule out the motherboard possibility.
Either the check for the bend cables, install older drivers atleast to 14.4 or the graphic card is faulty. In most of the cases it is also the power supply failing to provide power to the graphic card on wake up but that is good power supply. I strongly suggest try the card in another system to rule out the motherboard possibility.

Solution

CaptainSiscold

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014

Cables look okay, no major bends. I don't think any of my other computers can take a double slot graphics card (thank you, Dell, you're just making my case for building your own PC :), so I'll look into older drivers and see how that goes. On a side note, I've noticed that the system seems to wake up fine if I use my PS/2 keyboard instead of my mouse. Thanks for your suggestions!

P.S. Your avatar is awesome, btw :)

uninstall old drivers With DDU driver uninstaller set it up than it should show you to go to safemode click yes than boot in safe mode and click uninstall the driver with unistall driver and restart than download the latest drivers

CaptainSiscold

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2014

It looks like the 14.4 drivers are working fine, so I guess I'll just use them for now. Thanks for the help, guys!