XFX lifetime warranty is a marketing scam!

davinci73

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Has anyone had to deal with these crooks? I bought a 8600GT from newegg back in late '08 and it died just last week with the fan stopped and caused overheating. also caused a few of the caps to blow. I bought the card which it states everywhere (on box, newegg's site, on xfx's product page and all stated that it's lifetime warranty. It does not say ANYWHERE that I had to register within 30 days of purchase to get the lifetime warranty.

anyways this is the first time i've had a xfx card go out so I contacted their support and got a huge letdown by them refusing to warranty the card since I didnt' read the ultra fine print in their warranty agreement on their website (the agreement which is in a totally different area of their site than the products).

This is the "troubleticket" (this Brian guy is the rep for XFX):

[ 7/10/2010 11:15:29 AM] Video card died. System does not boot with it. Last it worked it gave garbled display. Removed card and found that the fan had stopped.

[BRIAN 7/13/2010 5:37:54 PM] Hi, when did you buy the card? If the card is not registered within 30 days of purchase, these units will have a 1 year warranty from the purchase date. I pulled up the serial number and it is coming up as out of warranty right now. Unfortunately, we will not be able to warranty the card at this time. Thanks, Brian.

[ 7/13/2010 5:54:14 PM] I bought this card back on 1/31/2008 from newegg.com. On newegg`s site it state the warranty for parts/labor is lifetime. now lifetime to me is lifetime, not a year from date of purchase. If you indeed refuse to warranty this card then that is a big letdown on your end to me since i`ve always respected xfx as they preferred product for all my performance pc`s. i`ve built many gaming rigs and 90% of them have xfx cards in them. I buy them because of the "lifetime" warranty. I do not see anywhere that says the cards have to be registered to get the "lifetime" warranty. This is the first of all of the xfx cards i`ve purchased that has gone bad. you guys have a great product but if you are not willing to step up and honor the stated lifetime warranty then that`s a big blow on your reputation.
[ 7/13/2010 6:11:06 PM]

[BRIAN 7/15/2010 12:43:30 AM] Hi, unfortuantely, the retailer doesn`t dictate our warranty. On newegg`s site, it does say, `Beyond any applicable Newegg return policy, this item is warranted independently by the product`s Manufacturer. Below is a summary provided for convenience only and may not be accurate or current. Use this link for full details.` It has a link to our site where it gives the full warranty details and you can go to http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Features/DoubleLifetimeWarranty.aspx for our warranty terms and conditions. I regret to say that we will not be able to warranty the card at this time since it is currently out of warranty. Thanks, Brian.

[ 7/15/2010 1:07:49 AM] Even the retail box packaging is stating a lie of "lifetime" warranty then? since it does not state anything about registering first for the so called lifetime warranty. If this is how stubborn xfx support is to a true valuable customer than i regret to say i`m forced to buy from BFG / ASUS / PNY for any of my future component needs. not sure how many loyal customers xfx has but you can take me and anyone I know off of that list. thanks for your time.

i just want to make this noticed to anyone who is planning on buying anything from XFX but be aware of their marketing ploys of a "lifetime" warranty... sheesh.. now they're pushing the "double-lifetime" warranty.. is that supposed to leave a loyal customer doubly letdown by xfx if they don't read the ultra fine print and register the product within the first 30 days?

I hardly ever post complaints to forums but this was just too much of a letdown for a company like XFX that i've been loyal to for so many years. and to think this is my first experience with their warranty support dept too.

I hope this makes future purchasers of XFX cards to be a bit more aware of the hoops they have to jump through to get their "double-lifetime" warranty as advertised everywhere.

Also on a side note, I had to register the card to submit the rma ticket on their website. and within minutes of creating an account I started to get junkmail / spam too. coincidence?... hmm.....

Umm, yeah it does say you have to register. There are many things that require you to register to be able to use the extended warranty, this was just a failure on your part to read. My 4850 said in a couple places that i needed to register within 30 days to get the lifetime warranty.

dude, all products that have a lifetime warranty require registering within 30 days. The reason they need you to register is to make sure you are the actual owner of the product. If it was the other way around XFX would be broke by now =)

If you register the product online at http://www.xfxforce.com/ within 30 days of purchase, your limited warranty will be extended for the duration of your life. Registration within 30 days of the date of purchase is a condition precedent to receiving the lifetime warranty.
The limited hardware warranty on all XFX-branded products begins on the date of the packing slip, invoice, or receipt.

click North America and then G-Force 8 series :

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Help/Support/WarrantyInformation.aspx