XFX pro550w core edition with r9 390?

siebevelez01

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2015
Will the XFX PRO550w core edition be able to handle the r9 390? I heard that my PSU is actually a very good PSU. I have seen mixed answers to this question, so I just want a good answer.

PC Specs:
i3-3220 3.30ghz
XFX PRO550w core edition
8gb DDR3 RAM

KKAW

Admirable

Is your PSU good? Excellent, Tier 1 with excellent quality components.

Is the XFX Pro 550W enough for R9 390? It's cutting it really.

Technically it should be enough because when i put the R9 390 with a i7 6700K build PCParkPicker says it will use around 500W at max.

People will say PC Part Picker is in accurate and i believed it was an estimated average and it was not accurate since the psu requirements/recommnedation webstie recommend a lot higher wattage. However as explained here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiWThqgFfI4

the requirements/recommended is set high so that if someone uses a poor quality PSU with bad effecienct it will still run.

I actually created the exact part picker as the video above and the peak wattage used was set higher on PC Park Picker that means it is accurate and reliable, as long as you have a quality PSU like yours.

In the end it is up to you, if you don't mind spending the extra to make sure you are 100% safe you will be fine.
However the XFX Pro 550W should do fine, even after overclocking.

Honestly you can get a quality 650W PSU in the same price range:
HCG 620W
NeoEco 620W
Seasonic M12II 620W
XFX TS 650W
EVGA GS 650W

sammy sung

Distinguished
Assuming the REST of your system is pretty stock, and you're not going to overclock the graphics card, you'll be fine.

275w gpu + 55w cpu + 120w for the rest

If no overclocking is present, you'll fine perfectly within parameters. You could crank out a nice overclock on the card, but you'll be running a lot closer to peak load