XFX PSU replace - EVGA G3 550 or Corsair RM550x?

egtrev

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
Hello,

I have a XFX 550w Pro with a faulty/clicking fan, it's now to the point I need to replace.
I think I've narrowed it down to either EVGA G3 550w or Corsair RM550x.
Just an i3/1050 Ti to power, so main thing is reliability and noise level.
Which would you recommend? (other suggestions welcome too)

Thanks.

Solution

I'm not as familiar with the Evga G3, but the RMX series has a zero RPM fan mode that runs silently (without the fan) until ~50% load.

After some research, it seems the G3 also has the same function.

So I would go with the cheaper of the two.

The RM550X has a stunner deal on Newegg right now for $69 after a $20 mail in rebate.
If the fan is the only thing giving problem with your power supply, i would recommend just replacing the fan. The psu you currently have a very good unit, and if not showing any signs of fatigue(besides fan) it should not be a problem. Also, the I3 and 1050ti are very efficient, your PC will only go 400w+ occasionally, so your current psu is taking less load.

If you are anyways going to persuade yourself to buy a new and expensive power supply (some of which i wouldnt pair with such a budget system), the Evga G3 550w is more reliable and better performing.

MWP0004

Respectable
Oct 26, 2016
What is the price difference between the Evga and Corsiar PSUs you're looking at? They're both tier 1 per the Tom's PSU tier list (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html)

The Corsair RMX (not to be confused with the older RM series) are very good units.

egtrev

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012

Thanks Trafalgar747, I was under the impression you couldn't open/replace PSU components?
Yes all seems fine other than the fan (if I stop the fan the noise stops)

Definitely open to other product suggestions if you have any that would suit better, not set on those - main thing is noise level/build/reliability.

egtrev

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012

Same price give or take $5.

MWP0004

Respectable
Oct 26, 2016

I'm not as familiar with the Evga G3, but the RMX series has a zero RPM fan mode that runs silently (without the fan) until ~50% load.

After some research, it seems the G3 also has the same function.

So I would go with the cheaper of the two.

The RM550X has a stunner deal on Newegg right now for $69 after a $20 mail in rebate.

Solution