XFX R7970 DD Edition Crossfire - Second Card is Idle

Charitzo

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
Hey there,

So this is my first Crossfire setup, and before I ask questions, here's my specifications (if it helps etc etc).

Processor: i5-4760k @ 3.4Ghz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
GPU(S): 1 x XFX R7970 Double Dissipation Edition
1 x XFX R7970 Double Dissipation Ghz Edition
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x4GB @ 1600Mhz CAS8)
PSU: Corsair TX850

Now that that's out of the way - I recently installed my second XFX R7970 DD and have noticed that in Catalyst Control Centre (CCC) the second card is always idle. Furthermore, there has been no improvement to FPS.

What I've done thus far:
- Checked each card works individually (they do).
- Checked both cards are registered in device manager, CCC, and CPU-Z (there are).

I know there are previous posts on this topic, but all of them make reference to AMD Application Profiles, which to my knowledge, I can't find anymore, so I assume they no longer exist?

My installation process:
- Uninstalled CCC. Restarted. Booted down.
- Physically installed the second 7970, and attached the bridge on the left connectors.
- Reinstalled CCC. Enabled Crossfire. Restarted.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Charlie

EDIT:
Looking at the two GPU's on GPU-Z, I've noticed that the memory type is different. Could this be an issue? If anyone cares to compare to two cards, pictures are below:

dbd.png
gb4.png

When at desktop, the card goes into Ultra low power state which effective turns it off until needed. If you run a game or benchmarks like valley, look at the card fans if it is spinning, if not there there is something wrong. Not all games benefit from crossfire.

Charitzo

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013

Whilst idle on the desktop, both GPU's fans are spinning. I just benchmarked Company of Heroes 2 on maximum settings; before I installed the second GPU, the average FPS was 36; with the second GPU installed, the fps is 37 - so no real change their. Meanwhile, GPU Temp showed no increase to the temperature of the second card, which remained firmly at zero degrees C. Furthermore, quickly alt-tabbing out of the benchmark, the second GPU's activity was still zero.

You just have different clock speed and memory speed settings for both cards. The both cards will run at the lowest speed of the two. Change one of them to be the same clock and memory speed.
I believe Company Heroes 2 does not support crossfire anymore. But correct me if i am wrong.
Use Valley to benchmark rather than that game: https://unigine.com/products/valley/

Charitzo

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah I just picked up a copy of 3DMark, and run firestrike. Overall, the system scored better than 93% of all other results. GPU Temp showed that the second card did in fact kick up some heat, meaning that it must have been under load. So, I guess the system is working properly - my mistake.

One question remains though - what games do actually benefit from using crossfire setup?