Aug 13, 2019
PLEASE HELP!!

I have recently purchased a second-hand XFX R9 390 and when installing it into my rig, the display would cut out and wouldn't even return upon restarting. I have tried updating drivers and bios for my motherboard but nothing seems to fix it.

The issue: I will boot up my computer and get to my desktop screen. I could be running a benchmark or even searching the web and the display would cut out, however, the fans would continue to spin at normal speed - it isn't causing the whole computer to shut down - just cutting out the display. I try to restart however no display appears even with fans running again.

Specs are as follows:
MB: ASUS B85M-E
CPU: i5 4460K
RAM: (2 X 4GB) GSKILLS RIPJAWS X DDR3
PSU: CORSAIR VS650
GPU: XFX R9 390

Before anyone says that I should RMA the card - the seller tried helping me troubleshoot the issues - he came to my house and tried the card in his test rig without any issues, yet plugged into my rig it would cut out. He suggested that it was because it was overheating due to very poor airflow in the case - (I didn't have any intake fans on the case, and only one fan blowing air out) but would airflow really cause it to cut out? IF it's not a hardware issue ( at least in his test rig) could it be a software issue on my computer? Perhaps conflicting drivers? Or Bios? Even settings I need to change so that it works??

As the card is second hand and there isn't any warranty left on it - I've taken it apart to see if it was a thermal paste problem. I removed the old paste and have replaced it however there weren't any thermal pads in place. Should there be?

My previous card was an MSI R9 270 - I can appreciate this card was only 2GB of VRAM and only used minimal power and produced little heat - however works (and has worked for 6 years) completely fine with the very same rig and never cut out.

My power supply is less than a week old and was bought off of Amazon. I highly doubt this could be the issue however I am open to anything as have been trying to find a fix for a while and am without my PC until this is fixed.

Could it be my motherboard? Any ideas would be massively appreciated.

Thank you

Aug 13, 2019
It's the second version of the VS650 - I bought it specifically for this card as my old PSU wouldn't have been able to run it. It's not even two weeks old.