Oct 18, 2022
I wasn't ever invested in this card as I bought it for £30 "Spares and repairs" however the description prior to the one pictured and also this one led me to want to try and see what I could do. I cleaned it completely with air compressor + rubbing alcohol and put new thermal paste on, checking the pcb for any obvious signs of damage, finding lots of dust and particles and the thermal paste cracked however the back of the pcb clean and no obvious physical damage. When I was happy I put it back in and it booted no problems. I tried the legacy drivers with varying degrees of success; it perfomed well in some games but crashed or froze the system in others. With the nimez drivers it worked really well with better performance and no crashes or issues, the clock was reaching 1500mhz and memory also seemed to be performing well. It would only ever reach 75c even on load, I used Arctic MX-4 thermal compound.

Last night I ran COD Warzone, it crashed as I was trying to configure graphics quality settings. I ran it again and it seemed to be better, it showed the loading screen for the lobby and then froze before I entered the game, audio distorted and no response from pc. I switched it off then tried to restart and it booted with many artefacts then showed a black screen. I tried again and it did not post, with my motherboard showing the red LED on VGA :/ I waited around 15 hours then tried it again and it seemed to post with the LED going away however showed lots of artefacts and then black screen again.

I'm thinking my 550W psu could be an issue maybe? but it is a Gold EVGA G3 fully modular, so more likely to be VRAM or the bios that's currently on it. I'm not sure how I'll be able to check the bios without it even posting though.

My specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G

Gigabyte B450 AUROS Elite rev 1.0

Crucial Ballistix 2x 8GB 3200mhz

EVGA 550W G3 Gold Fully modular

Oct 18, 2022
When a video card is sold for "spares and repairs", it generally means it is broken in some way. If it could be fixed simply by changing the paste and pads, and blowing all the dust out, the previous owner would have done that, and sold it for a higher price.
Hence I wasn't invested in it. I'm just wondering if there's something I could do like re-flash the bios or a procedure of some sort.