XFX R9 390 memory gets very hot

Joesyouruncle

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
I've searched thoroughly and haven't found an answer to this here or elsewhere, so what I would like to know is why my memory gets SO hot, and what I can do about it. My main concern is at stock speeds but I have heard of overclocking the memory on this card and would like to if my issue can be resolved.

More info: AMD FX9590 on a gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev4.1 motherboard
cpu is liquidcooled by a 240mm dual fan rad sealed unit.

Case is a raidmax narwhal, have 3 case fans. (5 if you include the 2 rad fans)

1100w PSU with its own cooling.

In something like furmark the temps just steadily increase until they get to 84deg and I shut it off, I've heard of some people running the R9 390 much hotter, but the XFX turns off the system when it hits 85°C. Now I should state that this problem is increased by the fact that I have the power slider to +50%, but the card underperforms without that.

My main issue is not with furmark however, because in a normal game it gets up to 70ish deg and hovers there. My concern comes in when something memory intensive happens. My example that will ALWAYS crash my comp if my fans aren't forced to 100% is the radiant ancient blowing up in dota2. with afterburner logging my temperature and my fans forced to 100% (so it didn't crash) and my memory at stock speeds this spikes my gpu temperature from 64° to 73° in less than 4 seconds (the length of the animation).

Same issue in both slots available on the MB.

I appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

ThatGuyTyping

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
84c seems rather warm for the amount of airflow that case should have. I benchmark my overclocked 390 on firestrike and get less than 70c with my old thermaltake v5 black edition case.

My gigabyte 390 is running at 1100MHz core and 1600MHz memory and left the power alone, using MSI afterburner

Joesyouruncle

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
I've had the card for 3 months and am trying to think back and recall how hot it got before, but wondering if anyone thinks it would be worthwhile to take the card out and give the heat spreader a nice deep cleaning. Would the card being dusty be enough to make that kind of difference?

ThatGuyTyping

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015

Its hard to imagine you accumulated that much dust in 3 months but its worth a look. You said you have the power slider up +50% I'm curious to how your card is under performing without doing that. It may be the cause of the heat spike.

Are you using any overclocking software besides I'm assuming crimson? I'm getting great overclocking performance without needing extra voltage.

Joesyouruncle

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015
I've tried this and that, but as you say the performance is great without it. I cleaned it off as best I could (strange screw placement so I could not get the shroud off) I could still get at everything fairly well. Also repositioned some hard drives and rerouted some cables to try and free up some of the case's air as was mentioned. Still testing but it did make quite a difference.