XFX R9 390X & Sapph R9 390X VRM Module hitting 125*C and higher?

GrippingWar

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
R9 390X's were doing great for about a year, was crossfiring with an XFX, and a Sapphire. Both clocks set the same, things were doing great.

Sapphire R9 390X burned out, unknown reason why. Soon after, my XFX R9 390X started crashing in games. Originally began to downclock it and things seemed okay, but then the crashing started to resume. The entire computer doesn't lock up, but just the game crashes due to driver recovery. Card simply black screens, then boop game is crashed.

The card usually sits around 1182 mV, but I'm not sure but whenever I eye the card and it crashes at the same time, the voltage spikes to 1204 then boop. I did two stress tests with FURMARK, one exceeding 30 minutes, and just a simple 1080 one at first and the card never crashed on either tests. I'm not too sure what could be the issue, I can't pinpoint it to be recent drivers or anything either, as I'm not even able to install later drivers. Even when using DDU, I can only partially install drivers prior to 18.1.

WZUY9s2.gif

aNReSbP.png

x2L1qgK.gif

VbvmEDF.png

VRM Module #1 is hitting past 120+C, and when in games it hits as high as 130C, then the game crashes. Understanding this is a HOT card, but even my GTX 480's VRM's never hit higher than 90*C and it's usual temp was up in 85-90*C under full load.

Update, began undervolting and tweaking clocks. After a 10 minute test on Furmark at these settings, VRM never exceeded what is in the screenshot. Haven't done any real time in-game testing to see if there's no artifacting, but none so far with some tweaking in Furmark.

6MquRbf.png

Did a test in a game, card running @ 1000 CC, 1440 MC @ 1064mV at 55*C and upon 5 minutes of idling it crashed. What is the serious problem here? Drivers? Running 18.6.1 Adrenalin and I'm completely fricking stumped on the issue. Card was drawing no more than 200W @ full load. Upon testing in Furmark at original clocks, pulling 350W avg there was absolutely no issue.

GrippingWar

Reputable
Sep 28, 2014
Ahhh noo, my other card was a Nvidia GTX 480, not an RX 480 lol and it was far more power hungry than these 390X's. I reverted way back to 17.1.1 drivers, and it's apparently fixed everything so far. The Sapphore 390X is still dead, no more crossfire.

TRENDING THREADS