XFX Radeon 4850 connection and freezing issues

johnprestongc

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Now I believe the simple problem with the Graphics card is that I am not plugging it into the power supply correctly. The specific 4850 I'm using is XFX (http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1072/2/). The power supply is H1000E-01 model (http://www.newgeardeals.com/index.php/review/product/list/id/226/). Now I know the wattage is fine but I think I need the required voltage as well. I don't know the current voltage of this PSU, but if someone could tell me that would be great.

So my issue with plugging this in is that, as you can see in the 2nd picture of the first link, it comes with an adapter with two male plugs. I found only 1 that I could plug it into coming from the power supply, but I'm not even sure its the right one. It has a yellow, black, black, red wiring if that helps. I found another female but it had different colors on the wiring (red, black, black, and a sort of mixed blue/yellow cord) and it still froze when I plugged them both in. So I'm not sure if either of the cords are the correct way to plug it in or if the PSU doesn't have an extra male that I need to plug it into.

I have no problems running this idle, or in little games such as Minecraft, Heroes of Newerth, Dota, and WC3, but in more GFX intensive games such as Bad Company 2, Modern Warfare 2, Team Fortress 2, Mass Effect 2, and Starcraft 2, this only lasts 10 minutes before a freeze. I'm most certain that its just not receiving enough power or its not getting it properly. If anyone could please help me connect this properly (pictures would be great but it's hard to find someone with the same PSU and Graphics Card) or tell me if the PSU can not run this, that would be great.

Edit: Also someone please tell me what A stands for. For example: (Radeon 4850 - 30A and a 450W PSU minimum. If that stand for amplitude I'm finding to sources on the PSU that say 14A and 10A which don't seem to qualify. Am I reading it correctly? c/d?)

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
looks to me as if this is a 1000-watt Power supply that has 6-pin PCI-E (the black connectors with 6 prongs that say "PCI-E" on them) connectors, if that is the case, there is no need to use the adapter that came with the video card, the power supply has the necessary connectors to power that video card.

that PSU should be able to run that video card with no issues.

yes, "A" stands for amperage value. Typically what you want is a high amp value on the 12v rails.

iTa_Fr3nYo7

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010

Yes it is the power supply sorry but if it works well i little games but when it comes to crunch time there is some power issues
Can we have a pitcure of this connector that you are hooking up to the Video Card. If not I'm looking one up now.

johnprestongc

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
There are 4 6 pin PCI-E connectors and I've only tried 1. I guess I can try all 4 of them and get back to you guys. This will take awhile as the freezing and rebooting causes some delay.

iTa_Fr3nYo7

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
That 30A yes is your fuse and that could be another factor its way too high for the PSU to handle I'd look into that more just a though I just look it up and here is proof you need new PSU you have what looks like a two rail 14A maybe you need a Single Rail 30A Which is 30 Amps :) here is the like and some of his comment on his trouble

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=115249

Then, I realized, my PSU, though it is 600W has four 12V rails. They are each 18A. I read on somewhere that ati suggests a single rail 30A ish. I believe this is causing my graphics card to crash.

johnprestongc

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Yeah so after trying all 4 PCI-E plugs, they all only lasted 30 seconds to a minute before freezing in Bad Company 2.

Yeah I don't understand much of this rail stuff or anything about power supplies. I have heard though that it is difficult to find power supplies that work well on a Dell motherboard so I may be out of luck.

iTa_Fr3nYo7

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
I have another webpage saved and it might help you out when you are out looking for a real PSU but in rant (mainly) he says how There is no such things as a Real PC PSU and I have to agree with him since that was his life's work before making it into a now hobby so I would trust what this guy says and that PC PSU today are just marketed for our eye's and don't have much in the way of anything that really works well with anything :) Although I have found some of them useful when there are cut into a million pieces and fitted to one of my many Car Audio sound Systems they work well as junk like that lol :) Really I have it running a 400RMS Amp and this thing is Phoenix Gold.

johnprestongc

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Well I went back to connecting the adapter it came with and it lasted much longer then the PCI-E ones. Instead of freezing in 1 minute it took 10-15 minutes. Also after reading the instructions, it said I have to connect both of them that come with it, which is where my problem is. I can only find ONE to connect to but I need a 2nd one somewhere. Is there another PSU plug like the one I need plugged into somewhere else? Like maybe the HDD or something? I'm only finding one spare right now :/.