XFX radeon 4890 problem :(

mhdside

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
I have a serious problem, my PC doesnt start. When I start it and it is about to start windows, the screen halts and I hear the graphics cards fan speed increase for seconds then back to normal, then increase speed again then back to normal... and keep like this while the screen is halted. This strange bug sometimes happen also just after I turn on the computer. This issue happened before and when I reinstalled windows it stopped but this time I cannot even reinstall windows, it happens when the installtion screen about to appear. For this last time, the bug started while I was playing FarCry2 on best graphics options, then somewhere in the middle the game halted and the bug happened when I restarted. I suspect a problem with the VGA card or maybe the powersupply isnt providing current power to the VGA? I might be wrong, did anyone see this issue before where the VGA fan speed increase/decrease and the screen is halted? any thoughts what could be causing it?

Here is my computer hardware:
power supply: 1000w
processor: Intel core i7 920
VEGA: XFX Radeon 4890
motherboard: Gigabyte UD5
RAM: 6GB Corsair
HD: 1.5TB WD

thanks,

mhdside

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
>> try reinstalling the vga drivers, get the 10.5 ati catalyst. also check your gpu temps
the halt happens just as window logo is about to apear and sometimes just after starting the PC so I think is not a driver issue.

>> have you tried with another 6pin power connector cables?
yes I did although only changed 1 of the cables, I`ll try 2 new cables for double check.

>> Try boot on safe mode
tried, same bug :S

>> so you make sure your PSU supports 30v on 2x6 pin
yes I have 2x6 pins, but I wish I could somehow measure the electric current in the cables to make sure they give the correct power.

If you are failed to boot into safe mode then it could be the PSU or the card itself...

We need more detail about your PSU...

have another computer with a decent PSU? you can try your card there to make sure whether the card is dying or not...

mhdside

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
ok, I finally solved the issue, I entered the setup screen just after PC starts (I made use of a chance that the PC didnt halt just after starting), then I reset the BIOS to default, then windows didnt halt. Just after I entered windows I installed the latest catalyst driver and I removed daemon tools which I somehow suspect it change something in the PC that causes my problem. The problem started after I installed daemon and was playing Far Cry 2 when the crash started. Thanks all for your participation.