FlyinBird

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
My old card was an Nvidia GT 320 (1GB) and today I ordered a XFX Radeon 6670 HD (1GB).

Some may ask why I didn't choose something better at this time, and the answer is, I have a small case, so I needed something (VERY) small.

The 6670 was the smallest/most powerful I could find that would actually fit.

Usually I play my games at either 1280x720 or 1920x1080 (depending on the game).

So here's the question, will I actually notice a big difference in the FPS while gaming?

http://www.hwcompare.com/10851/geforce-gt-320-vs-radeon-hd-6670-oem-1gb/

(Comparing GT 320 with HD 6670)

In case it matters, here's the rest of my system:

CPU: Intel Core i5 650 - 3.2GHz
RAM: 4GB (upgrading to 8GB in a day or 2, but that's not because of gaming anyway)

And just letting everyone know, I don't really play top notch games such as Crysis or anything alike, I mostly play online games, and since my FPS were pretty low on games such as Blade & Soul I decided I should stop postponing and it was the time to change.
I also assumed the low FPS were because of the graphics card because my CPU usage hardly ever goes past the 40-50% while gaming and because everyone told me GT 320 was a huge pile of youknowwhat.

Thanks in advance!

Well as long as your not expecting to Max out your games. Because at 1080p its don't going to do well at all. but the other Res will do just fine. Now if you want 1920x1080 then if you can get it to fit. the Smallest High performer you can get XFX is a 6770. and its only 2 inches longer

biscuitasylum

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Im running the same card and have been pleased with it. Im maxed on all settings on any game built on the source engine (Half Life 2:Source, Left 4 Dead 1 & 2, Day of Defeat:Source, Counter Strike:Source, Team Fortress) and running great, plus Im running it in an old socket 939 Athlon XP x2 3800+.

I had an ATI Radeon 1650 pro give out days before christmas and bought the HD 6670 to replace it just to keep the old computer up and running while I'm in the process of R&D on building a new machine.

FlyinBird

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

I thought about that one as well, but I thought the 6670 was a better idea because of my PSU, and I'm not buying a new one since I'm on a budget and I'm also upgrading my RAM...

Good to know, and yeah L4D2 is the kind of games I'll be running. Even with the GT 320 I didn't have much of a problem, but sometimes the poor thing would struggle...

biscuitasylum

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

then you should be pleased. i havent run into anything significantly noticable with the card. the killer that kills me, is the fact the rest of the computer is old. I really didn't think I'd see much improvement than what I already had in it because of severe bottlenecking... but to my surprise... i was able to run max setting without any problems. I cant for the life of me remember what resolution Im running... but im pretty sure its at 1920x1080. Ill confirm this later for ya when I get home.

When i bought mine... not that it makes a difference... it came with a free game (orcs must die) also, which i didnt even know till I got it home and registered it... lol and you may have bought it in the right time frame to be eligable for it as well.

Ill confirm my resolution later for ya.

FlyinBird

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

Do let me know, and the game does look interesting actually! I'll see if it comes with the card =P

That'll be more than enough to be honest, even if I have to turn all the settings low. All I want is high fps!

FlyinBird

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

Some games run on lower FPS, so I switch my resolution to 1280x720

Why 1280x720 and not something else? Well, because It goes 720p then 1080p, so I try to stick to those resolutions rather than use something like 1360x768 or 1440x900 or whatever...

Something else rather offtopic...

I'm trying to monitor my CPU/GPU usage/temperatures WHILE gaming, I tried using Rivatuner but didn't work at all...
(Because I need older drivers or something...)

FlyinBird

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

Oh...

And about CPU ID, will it actually show the temps while I'm playing or must I minimize the game to check it?

Because if that's it I have several programs and apps to show me the usage/temp, what I do need is something to display the temps while I play...

FlyinBird

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

Alright, it's the same I had on my old screen =P

biscuitasylum

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

Oh good deal. Hope it works out for you. I'm sure it would run better if I had a more updated computer, but for now its doing the trick as I don't extreme game. You may fly with it, seeing how your system specs eat mine for breakfast. lol :pt1cable:

FlyinBird

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012

We'll see.

Should get it either tomorrow night or in 2 days, I'll update the thread later!

biscuitasylum

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

Good deal... yeah, Im anxious to hear how it works.

Just a side note... Catalyst updated to 12.1 recently. I've updated to it and havent seen any issues.

Either way...

Im rooting for ya :bounce: :bounce:

You'll have to alt+tab to check it, but it records the highest and lowest temps since you had it open as well as the current temp

TRENDING THREADS