XFX Radeon HD 6950 2gb - Fan Replacment

sKHiii

Honorable
May 23, 2013
Hi Guy,

The fan on my XFX Radeon HD 9650 2gb has broken. This was my own mistake after touching the fan while moving a couple of the blades came off! It still runs but vibrates a lot!

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement, I sent a message to XFX support saying it had stopped spinning and they said you can RMA it but it will take up to 3 weeks. Also not sure if breaking the fan will be under warranty? (I probably shouldn't have said it had just "stopped working") Plus I don't want to be without my pc for 3 weeks!

I found another thread on here listing the same problem, and a picture of the fan : http://imgur.com/yFGpCoj. The fan is exactly the same make and model as my card.

However on this fan the holes are far to wide for the screws to fit in on my model. The gaps between the screws are around 10mm apart on my card. This is the same issues with a lot of GPU fans I have been looking at!

Does anyone have any experience with finding a replacement or modding a fan in the the card?

Any other ideas and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks!

Solution

easiest and cheapest solution, buy this ebay.co.uk - Firstd FD8015H12S and replace the damaged one

if the mounting slots dont match, remove the damaged fan from the DC motor and then take off the fan from the new one and put the new fan onto the old DC motor that comes with the card
You could try contacting XFX again, you'll need the exact part number of the card, perhaps they can provide a replacement.
Otherwise you still have options:
Replace the heatsink assembly, as has been suggested.
Remove the fan and stick or cable tie a similar sized case fan over the aperture, several companies make fans with speed controllers so you can change the speed to suit the load/temperature conditions.

sKHiii

Honorable
May 23, 2013

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

notea - how do the CPU coolers work? Do I attach it over the case, does it go inside the case or does it replace the case/chassi? I'm a little confused. Also some of the coolers are around £100! I would rather spend another 100 again and get a new card if I could but I have kids and don't have the money sitting around currently! Also will this make my the card bigger? im struggling a little for space at the moment as it is!

Coozie - So I could attached another 4pin fan inside the case with glue or something as suggested. As long as its 0.5a as mine is am I right in thinking I can plug it into the boar directly and still have fan control speed though catalyst control centre?

notea

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
those are not CPU coolers, they are aftermarket GPU coolers and perform better than stock coolers, replacing them is quite simple, take off the old cooler on your GPU (Fan+Heatsink+Cover), and simply attach the new cooler using the supplied screws and brackets

Note: clean the thermal compound on the GPU die and apply a new thermal compount, Arctic Silver 5 is a good choice

VGA Fan replacement video

Not exactly.
Like this:

Remove the existing fan, leaving the intake compleately empty.
Take the new fan and either stick it over the open aperture or attach it with cable ties. The fan has an arrow showing which way it blows, make sure it is blowing into the card.
The fan I linked to has an external, variable, manual controller it will not be possible to connect it to the graphics card so the speed cannot be changed by CCC either manually or automatically.
This works but there needs to be enough space under the card to allow for the extra thickness of the fan plus some room for airflow.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/92mm-silverstone-sst-fm91b-fan-1800-3800-rpm-in-black-with-fan-controller

notea

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011

easiest and cheapest solution, buy this ebay.co.uk - Firstd FD8015H12S and replace the damaged one

if the mounting slots dont match, remove the damaged fan from the DC motor and then take off the fan from the new one and put the new fan onto the old DC motor that comes with the card

Solution

sKHiii

Honorable
May 23, 2013

Many thanks for this, don't know why I didn't think of that before!

Thanks everyone for their suggestions, if anything I've learned a little more about GPUS! :)