XFX Radeon R9 280 Not Working

zackh1998

Reputable
May 5, 2015
So I recently assembled a computer and everything in the computer worked fine, except the video card - the XFX radeon r9 280.
The integrated graphics work fine, but the video card doesn't output anything when it is plugged in with an hdmi cable. When I go into the bios, the motherboard doesn't seem to recognize the video card either. Also, I tried putting the video card into another computer, and the video card from that computer into this computer. The video card from the other computer worked perfectly fine in this computer (Gtx 760), but the radeon r9 280 didn't work in the other computer - same symptoms.

This computer's specs are here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BkB2NG

The other computer also had a 750 watt power supply, and this one had an 835 watt one, and the video card was plugged into the power in both the 8 pin and 6 pin slot. The fans were also working. Could the video card just be faulty? Any other suggestions?

zackh1998

Reputable
May 5, 2015

A DVI plug didn't work either. I also tried a different HDMI cable, too make sure it wasn't the cable. The BIOS doesn't seem to recognize the video card exists either.

Zeriu

Reputable
Apr 27, 2015
Hmm honestly it sounds like you got a dead on arrival card. I would check out XFX's RMA. XFX has lifetime warranty long as you register it on their site within a month of getting it. I would contact their RMA and see what they say about it. Sounds to me like the card is dead, especially if it fails to work in a different computer but a card you use other then the 280 works fine.

TRENDING THREADS