XFX Radeon R9 290, 290X Have Double Dissipation Coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barantos1

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Yeah AMD really needs to increase production and put the price back to where it was. By increasing the price, they have slowed a lot of the momentum they got from putting out the R9 cards.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
I can honestly say, I have absolutely no idea what all the fuss is about over the reference r9 290 cooler. At idle, I can't hear it above ambient room noise (quite a quiet apt,) and at full tilt 50%, it barely even bothers me at all.

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

I've similarly never been convinced or bothered by the sound measurements in situations like these. What bothers me about the reference design is the performance bottleneck caused by the lack of efficiency in the cooler. That's something that just can't be ignored from Tom's review of the reference 290 and 290X. A card shouldn't have to clock down from stock speeds to keep from overheating. That's why all of these major manufacturers keep changing both the cooler and the PCB layout, because the reference doesn't seem to be well designed. I mean, XFX designed a completely custom card with a custom cooler, and it's running at stock and supposed to be sold at reference prices? That screams to me that they were just aiming to fix the card with this custom model, not make any kind of premium or OC model.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
It's shocking how many AMDrones are quick to excuse AMD for their heat and sound issues, but still attempt to bring up the 400 series as a way to attatck nvidia.

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

Dude, literally no one did that here. Why are you trying to start a flame war in this thread for absolutely no reason?

And do we really need MORE derogatory nicknames for people who like stuff more than other stuff?

rohitbaran

Distinguished
I would like to see benchmarks of these custom R9 290 and 290X cards, to know how they compare to the press version performance Toms posted earlier and whether they are consistent.

redeemer

Distinguished
May 30, 2004

Go away please

He wants the R9 290X for $500. I would not understand why anyone would want to pay $500 for a R9 290 when its MSRP is $400.

The Lite Coiners kind of suck in the respect since my HD7970 is still worth $450-500 when it should at best be $300.

Broc Kelley

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013

It's not our job to make the prices go down..sooner or later we'll get a good card at a good price. The reasonable amongst us will wait...some idiots will not, and continue to ruin it for us all

I Hate Nvidia

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2008
I really can't understand AMD,They produce a realllly great VC, A real beat ( I have r9 290 reference) ,they do every thing right ,great chip ,great price ,great game bundle ,and then , they fuck everything with the easiest thing to address ,a decent cooler!!! they could have outsourced the cooler design to a specialized company (Arctic ,Zalman etc..) and clear thier heads !!!some times I just think it was delibrate (I know this looks stupid) to present such a bad cooler in order to push thier partners to innovate and thus filling the market with distinct designs and price points .

Broc Kelley

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013

pretty sure they did it on purpose..the cards are selling like hot cakes, and they will continue to do so until Nvidia's 800 series in Q2 2014. Until then, get a non reference 780 or just suffer.. the only people that need 290s or 780s are those who are pushing more than 3M pixels, and those people (us) have money to blow as it is..it's really quite genius as the fools will buy them without question

ccarroz

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011

I don't think we will see a 800 series card until 2015 at the earliest... unless high resolution displays start really coming down in price.
The 290 at $400 was almost too good to pass up, was just waiting on a non reference cooler to start hitting the market. Unfortunately due to the price hike and my inability to wait for things, I ended up purchased a 780 lighting edition. Last time I purchased a nVidia card was a 8800 GT and that was 4 cards ago.

Broc Kelley

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013

I feel, sadly, that the sooner the nvidia cards come out the sooner the r9 cards will be at an optimal price... for me anyway, I need a two card solution to play games at 3240x1920 so I'm in the same boat as you. 4gb of vram is almost too good to pass up, considering a 4k display would last you half a decade..and two 290x's could hypothetically last you just as long.

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
This is all good news but until AMD drops the prices back to $549 and $399 respectively for the 290X and 290 I don't see the point in anyone purchasing them.

If I were to choose right now I would go with the cheapest GTX 780 which is A little less than $399. With that I have less to worry about performance problems on a potential linux/steam os dual boot, I have compatibility with G-Sync, and I can buy the stock video cards without worrying about massive power consumption/heat/noise.

I don't think I will be making a upgrade or a new build right away so that gives AMD some time to increase their production yields so they can drop their prices back down to competitive prices.

redeemer

Distinguished
May 30, 2004

LOL you talking as if increasing production is easily done, the cards are selling out before they can even make them practically. Either Retailers are not getting a good deal or they have marked up the prices to take advantage of the situation..don't blame AMD man

redeemer

Distinguished
May 30, 2004

Steam/OS already announced AMD compatibility so I wouldn't worry about that. About heat and power consumption wait for wider after market availability or mod the card yourself. Hawaii is faster clock for clock and has more going for it in the longer run, GK110 is old and on its way out. More importantly Hawaii seems to keep a higher minimum fps in gaming.

G-Sync is nice but its $400 for a TN panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.