[SOLVED] XFX Radeon RX 580 530W 80 bronze plus enough?

suriad97

Reputable
Sep 25, 2019
Sorry for making another post like this as i have already read multiple ones like this but none answer my specific question.
I have a thermaltake 530w 80 bronze plus that is 5 or so years old by now but has been running flawlessly so far.
I am planning on upgrading to a XFX Radeon RX 580(after my sapphire 470 OC burned out) and i am unsure if the PSU can take it.
Full rig here :
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WF8G3t
(i was not able to find the exact PSU mode, note that it says 550w but the 530w i was able to find here had a different packaging than the one i own)
I have consulted multiple websites:
Pc Part Picker puts this rig at 381 watts
Outervision puts it at 424 wat load and 474 recommended PSU rating(Here i am unsure if the PSU rating meant is calculated before or after the efficiency percentage is applied )

So do you think it can take it or not?
Thanks for reading.
Edit: I have also heard a few opinions that this specific PSU is crap and i do not know why.

Solution
Actually, no.

That was a VERY "meh" unit when it was new, and it was new more like seven years ago in 2012 based on reviews. Yours could be a bit newer based on actual production date. That 530w Smart series unit has shown in reviews to be what we'd consider poor quality, with obvious internal soldering issues and the use of very cheap Teapo caps which make it very likely by now that it may have had a lot to do with your RX 470 dying so quickly, because that card should not be dead now unless there was something responsible for it.

If you don't want to see the same thing happen to your new graphics card, get another, GOOD quality, 550w or higher power supply...
Actually, no.

That was a VERY "meh" unit when it was new, and it was new more like seven years ago in 2012 based on reviews. Yours could be a bit newer based on actual production date. That 530w Smart series unit has shown in reviews to be what we'd consider poor quality, with obvious internal soldering issues and the use of very cheap Teapo caps which make it very likely by now that it may have had a lot to do with your RX 470 dying so quickly, because that card should not be dead now unless there was something responsible for it.

If you don't want to see the same thing happen to your new graphics card, get another, GOOD quality, 550w or higher power supply.

Reactions: King_V
Solution

suriad97

Reputable
Sep 25, 2019
I thought it was just the rx 470-480 cards as from what i have read they do have a tendency to burn out quickly. The 470 i had lasted for 2 years.

Thank you for the quick reply

Unless you bought that card on the used market or live somewhere where it is not financially viable to be able to request replacement, that graphics card should still be under warranty. Most of these have 3 year warranties if you have the original purchase information.

And no, NO graphics card should "burn out in 2 years". Ever. If it does, there is either something wrong with the quality control on the card's manufacturing, or something else is causing it.