[SOLVED] XFX Radeon RX 590 8GB FATBOY - no signal

Jan 21, 2020
Hi!
This is my first thread and I'm really not a professional... So please be nice =)

I thought I'd upgrade my old computer with a new GPU. So I changed from Asus GeForce GTX 560Ti to XFX Radeon RX 590 8GB FATBOY.

Problem is I get no signal. The fans and LEDs are working and the computer seem to start up, but I cant get image from any of the outputs (via the FATBOY or the integrated - and I tried both PEG and IDG in BIOS settings). When I disconnect the FATBOY it works with the integrated graphics.

I tried to uninstall all graphic drivers with DDU and I've retried it in safe mode.

So what am I doing wrong? I got my first delivery of the FATBOY exchanged, so I doubt it's a faulty component.

My system model is MS-7681, which PCI Express x16 slots are of version 2.0. From what I understand the FATBOY runs 3.0, but is backwards compatible, so it should work in 2.0 as well?

Thank you for any answers!

Solution
A lot of the newer GFU's will not work with a legacy bios, requires a UEFI bios to work. Does your board have a UEFI bios, I searched for a MS-7681 and it came back to a MSI P67A-GD65. Do you have your 6 pin and 8 pin power connectors connected?

lynx1021

Distinguished
A lot of the newer GFU's will not work with a legacy bios, requires a UEFI bios to work. Does your board have a UEFI bios, I searched for a MS-7681 and it came back to a MSI P67A-GD65. Do you have your 6 pin and 8 pin power connectors connected?

Reactions: MERisen
Solution
Jan 21, 2020

Aha, yes I've seen people recommending updating the BIOS and mine is legacy (though I'm not sure what that means) from 2012. Could that be it? I just don't know how and to what BIOS I should upgrade.

Jan 21, 2020
If this a prebuilt system? You would want to go to the manufacturer of your motherboard or the tower if a pre built and update to the latest bios version they have. With any luck it will allow it to work.

I built it myself and it was a while ago. How do I know what BIOS I should upgrade to? And how do I even upgrade my BIOS?

If you built it yourself, you would need to go find documentation as to what type of board it is and who manufactured it. They should hopefully still have a support page for it, and will probably have drivers etc for it, one of the options should be something to do with bios updates. Boards can be different. They many times will have instructions for it on their site.