Question XFX Radeon RX 590 Fatboy *OVERHEATING*

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdanning09

Prominent
Feb 27, 2019
Built this computer 2 months ago and I've had the issue the entire time. I sent the original card back, got a replacement and same problem. I've contacted tech support from AMD and after going back and forth was told there wasn't anything else they could do.

I've downloaded HWMonitor to monitor temps.

The issue is basically anything I do, sometimes even at idle the GPU will reach 70-80 degrees C. If I'm playing a game, it will crash the game or sometimes lock up the entire computer where the only fix is to hard reset.

I've followed a ton of peoples suggestions where I've adjusted the Fan RPM in Radeon Settings. It definitely helped as I was able to start playing games on higher settings where before everything had to be on low. Although I was able to play on higher settings, it will still crash... just not as often.

At this point, I'm ready to toss this crap in the dumpster and buy Nvidia.

What else can I do to stop my brand new GPU from overheating?

6 case fans, 3 intake, 3 exhaust. Room is 70 degrees F. Absolutely ZERO dust. Radeon Chill ON. ZeroRPM OFF. Fan RPM increased manually.

What other options do I have?

bdanning09

Prominent
Feb 27, 2019
I don't know how to overclock, but when I was researching parts to order for this build this past winter everyone was suggesting 3200MHz for the Ryzen CPU's. I struggled a bit understanding all of it, mainly because I learned that there was a limit at 2900MHz I believe so why 3200MHz was suggested I didn't understand. I was told if I OC'd the memory to 3200MHz it would help the CPU a lot so that's all I've done. Maybe I did it wrong?

CPU = AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz

MOBO = ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming

GPU = XFX Radeon RX 590 8GB OC+

MEMORY = G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz

STORAGE = 970 EVO M2 1TB SSD

PSU = Corsair CX 550 80+ Bronze

CASE = Corsair Crystal 460X RGB (3 front intake fans, 1 rear exhaust, and 2 top exhaust)

The issue is basically anything I do, sometimes even at idle the GPU will reach 70-80 degrees C. If I'm playing a game, it will crash the game or sometimes lock up the entire computer where the only fix is to hard reset.

BY any chance, do you have any BITCOIN MINING VIRUS on your system ? Just scan the OS by using Malwarebytes, or any other AV/Anti-malware tool. What is the GPU LOAD/usage in IDLE mode ? Post a GPU-Z screenshot, if possible.

Are you using Windows 10 OS ? Is it a FRESH installed copy ?

bdanning09

Prominent
Feb 27, 2019
The temps are not that high in idle currently. They were when the PC was first built. That's why I sent the original GPU back thinking it was a hardware issue. That's when I learned that the drivers have a ZERO RPM settings for "ultra silent" mode. The computer would crash within 10-15 seconds of windows loading up.

I havn't had that problem in the last several weeks after turning ZERO RPM off in Radeon Setttings. Then, manually adjusting the Fan RPM at certain temps has drastically helped. I can go maybe an hour playing a game on Ultra settings now, but if there's a bunch of stuff going on in the game like what just happened to me a few minutes ago, my HWMonitor software said the max temp got up to 83 degrees C or 181 degrees F which is when it crashed twice.

bdanning09

Prominent
Feb 27, 2019
My memory is set to 3200MHz, however it's important to mention... I have absolutely no idea what I did, I just clicked a few minutes and thought I did it right. So maybe thats the problem?

The PSU is brand new along with all of the other parts.

Aug 13, 2019
Any updates? I have Same exact problem nearly identical build still no fix.... 2nd XFX RX 590 fat boy... I only have a 75hz monitor so I set Radeon chill to limit FPS to 60 a 80 which definitely works BUT I would like to upgrade my monitor and get max frame rate without Radeon chill I can hit 144fps but temps will go past 80c and crash. I lowered power limit which also works but that is not the answer when I wanna hit 144. Lowered power limit -15% global wattman manual fan control, chill off.... tried all configs cpu over Lockerbie non overclocked ram at 3ghz also at 2133 nothing works also flipped switch on card to take off quiet mode

AMD ryzen 5 2600 OC 4ghz
Corsair ram 3ghz
MSI tomahawk b450
XFX RX 590 fat boy

Jul 2, 2019
I've been playing Gears 5 the last couple of days, my card peaks around 85 degrees and I'm maintaining a solid 75-85 fps on recommended settings (some mix of ultra, high and medium). My card has never crashed at a high temp. It sounds to me like your issue isn't your card, but probably memory instability caused by your O.C. I have 2x 8gb sticks of Corsair Vengeance at 2933 mHz (B450 chipset requires you to goto bios and activate it) it gives me zero problems. Ryzen processors do like fast memory and 3000 mHz seems to be the sweet spot, 2933 is close enough though. If that doesn't work I would do a clean install of windows to rule out corrupted files or viruses. Let me know how it goes.

Aug 31, 2019
I did try undervolt my machine and that did seem to help. It is not overheating as often or as quickly. Im guessing it is probably the PSU so I am going to try replacing that and then maybe upgrading the memory and see how it does like that and maybe finally replace the 590 card but we will see.

Thank you for the input

bdanning09

Prominent
Feb 27, 2019
I'm not sure that re-applying new thermal paste would be the answer considering it's the same problem with multiple different RX 590's though. Unless they all suck from factory.

Well, as I said on 10/7, it certainly worked for me. I have better temps now than I did when it was brand new. Took 10 minutes and thermal paste I already had. You don't have to try it if you don't want to, but you either need to reduce the wattage of the card (undervolting), and/or improve the cooling (re-apply TIM, buy an aftermarket heatsink, or buy a new GPU) and/or improve airflow inside your case. Two of those options are basically free.

BTW, please stick to the same thread for the same questions.

bdanning09

Prominent
Feb 27, 2019
Have you tried adjusting a manual fan curve in the settings ?

Yes, I have no fixed my problem. The first time I went into the settings to adjust the fan curve, it would work just fine but after a system restart the settings would reset to default even without a crash. If i didnt manually load a wattman profile with custom fan curve the games would go back to crashing.

I deleted my custom wattman profile, re-installed radeon settings and just manually adjusted the fan curve and now it stays even after restarting the computer so I am good to go now! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.