[SOLVED] XFX RX 5700 XT and old MB - HELP!

Sep 20, 2019
Please a little help here.

I bought the xfx rx 5700 xt thicc II yesterday, and it's not working past BIOS. I can mess with bios and see post it display, but after that the screen goes black and everything stops loading.

I have a very old Crosshair IV formula MB (fx 8350 cpu) working with an R9 290 directu II just fine, and PSU is strong enough (750w ocz fatality).

Is this truly a compatibility issue with the mb and the card? I've read some stuff regarding UEFI support (which apparently it does not have) and even something about the pcie slot itself but I can't jump to any conclusion yet.

Also, took the card to a store today for testing and it was working fine on another system.

Oh, one more thing - I am FULLY aware of bottlenecks using a card like this in such an old system, but this is NOT the issue here.

Solution
maybe need BIOS updates for your motherboard. i still remember when AMD supports PCI-E 2.1 standards on their HD6k series the cards cannot work with boards with PCI-E 1.1 standard (fixable via BIOS updates). although the problem back then was with older boards where the manufacturer no longer supports.
maybe need BIOS updates for your motherboard. i still remember when AMD supports PCI-E 2.1 standards on their HD6k series the cards cannot work with boards with PCI-E 1.1 standard (fixable via BIOS updates). although the problem back then was with older boards where the manufacturer no longer supports.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS