[SOLVED] XFX Rx 580 8gb Black Edition Computer Crashes/Restarts.

Nitroverdose

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015
I recently replaced my GPU as it died, I had a sapphire rx480 8gb oc nitro+. I've never had this issue with any cards I've owned, only this one. After installing it and getting my drivers straight I launched a game and within 5 minutes, my system restarted itself. This issue persisted through every game i tried to play, so i tried turning down the global wattman settings on my gpu speed from 1405 (default) to 1345. It worked fine for the passed couple weeks, but the issue would occur once every now and again. Now my computer crashes and restarts itself after running any games for more than 10-20 minutes. I tried lowering the gpu setting to 1300, the issue persisted. I've tried to uninstall drivers and reinstall them, I've tried using older drivers as well. I'm not the only one with this issue though, my friend has a XFX rx480, and his system does the same thing. Im not sure if its a XFX card issue with the current drivers but weve both tried using different ones and clean installing them. We have also gone as far as reinstalling windows completely, the issue continues. Ive looked every where and can find no answers on this and I dont know what to do. The rest of my build is Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P | amd Fx 8350 | ripjaw 2x4gb 1866 | Apevia 900w psu - yes im aware my system needs updating lol. My friend has a all new build excluding his gpu - xfx rx480 8gb | GIGABYTE X470 AORUS Gaming 7 WIFI | ryzen 2700x | 2x8gb 3000mhz corsair vengence | apevia warlock 900w and he recently swapped to a thermaltake 80+ gold psu with the same issue. Neither of us overclock our components either. Thank you to anyone who can help.

Solution
Ah, so you're in dynamic frequency mode. Are you using manual voltages also? Heck, even the Auto voltage curve may have a state or two whose voltage isn't quite high enough to maintain stability.

Here's my curve:
610MHz/818mV - 910MHz/840mV - 1075MHz/880mV - 1145MHz/900mV - 1190MHz/918mV - 1235MHz/940mV - 1305MHz/1020mV
VRAM= 2000MHz/900mV (this voltage acts as the lowest voltage supplied to the core, not sure why, but it does)

Your results may vary based on silicon lottery.
GloFo's 14nm process has a freq/voltage inflection at around 950mV. Above that the voltage curve is steeper.
Also, make sure on cold boot that WattMan applies the voltages correctly. It hasn't for me for years, have to restart, then everything is good.
Could be your junk 10 year old PSU. Yes, it's WAYYY overpowered (4 rails? BAH!), but....wattage doesn't imply quality.

Not sure about your abilities in WattMan, but have you at least tried setting power limit to +50%? Also, have you set an unusually low target GPU temp? (75C is typical target temp)

Normally, if it just crashes out of a game and drops you back into windows, it's the GPU. if it crashes the full system to a restart, then I point my finger at RAM, then PSU.

Nitroverdose

Reputable
Oct 4, 2015

Ran a r9 270x and a Rx 480 8gb on the same PSU, temps on gpu never even reach 75C, always on 50% power limit. I just bought a new mobo, ram and processor today though. I solution i came across that im testing right now is setting stages 2 through 7 at the exact same number, in my case i have them all set at 1300 to test this, as it seems the rx 580 has an issue when it comes to swapping stages. Since changing to 1300 from 2-7 stages i have not had a single crash, but did not want to post about it until after a week or so of testing.

Ah, so you're in dynamic frequency mode. Are you using manual voltages also? Heck, even the Auto voltage curve may have a state or two whose voltage isn't quite high enough to maintain stability.

Here's my curve:
610MHz/818mV - 910MHz/840mV - 1075MHz/880mV - 1145MHz/900mV - 1190MHz/918mV - 1235MHz/940mV - 1305MHz/1020mV
VRAM= 2000MHz/900mV (this voltage acts as the lowest voltage supplied to the core, not sure why, but it does)

Your results may vary based on silicon lottery.
GloFo's 14nm process has a freq/voltage inflection at around 950mV. Above that the voltage curve is steeper.
Also, make sure on cold boot that WattMan applies the voltages correctly. It hasn't for me for years, have to restart, then everything is good.

Solution