Question XFX RX 580 8gb with VGA Port, HDMI Port smokes on boot and monitor won't load

Mar 30, 2021
SO this new GPU arrived. (XFX RX 580 8gb with VGA port)
I don't know much of anything about this so I find it rather odd.
The computer will boot 100% with my other GPUs (XFX RX 580 8gb without VGA Port),
but if I use this new GPU as the main monitor then the HDMI port smokes on boot, the Motherboard will be running but monitor won't boot.
If I set one of my original GPUs as the main monitor with the new GPU in the Second GPU Port then the monitor does not load/boot although the motherboard does, no smoke.
It will all still boot if I remove the new GPU from the Motherboard...
Any idea what the problem is or if there is a fix for this "New" GPU.
(This computer normally runs 3 RX 580 8gbs at once, I am testing with 1 and 2 RX 580's, as this "New One" is a 4th card.)

Can someone program a GPU to Smoke at the HDMI port on boot while giving off no video? (I am sure they can, but I mean. If there was a way, I would want my money back if I can prove it.)

Last edited:

tecmo34

Administrator
If the card is smoking when in use, it is a defective card and I would recommend getting your money back or replacing it. I wouldn't keep testing it with different setups because you could run the risk of taking out other components with it.

Mar 30, 2021
If the card is smoking when in use, it is a defective card and I would recommend getting your money back or replacing it. I wouldn't keep testing it with different setups because you could run the risk of taking out other components with it.
It is just the HDMI port that smokes and it only does it when a hdmi chord is plugged into it and it only does it for a half second on boot, creating a small poof of smoke for that split second.
But, I guess I could try to get my money back based on it being defective instead, it was bought on ebay.
Person listed it as working, not tested, smells burnt...
Which I don't think it smells burnt, I think it smells like water vapor...

Mar 30, 2021

I am also confused as to why the GPU would be preventing the GPU that I have the monitor plugged into in PCIE slot 1 from booting the monitor just because the "defective" gpu is in PCIE slot 2.

Mar 30, 2021
Purchased from where?

Ebay,

I guess I will note what happens with the return/refund request later, It was listed as "Used and working" but untested because the person doesn't have a computer and says that because the sticker says it is a RX 580 then it is a RX 580.
There is no "No returns" note on the listing.
Right now the individual is saying that I can't return it because they listed it as untested and I took a risk.
I said, IDK what effect on my obtaining a return will have on them gaining a return on a item they seem to have obtained without a computer to test it on that they resold because it smelled funny. But that I think based on the listing conditions and that it probably isn't what was listed that I think I have a viable refund request reason.

I am still curious as to if anyone knows what would cause these kind of issues from a GPU, though.
Like, circuit pathways, node disturbances... I don't know. The nitty and gritty stuff.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Ebay,

I guess I will note what happens with the return/refund request later, It was listed as "Used and working" but untested because the person doesn't have a computer...
Right now the individual is saying that I can't return it because they listed it as untested and I took a risk.
Yep, you got scammed.

If he listed it as "Used and working"....how did he verify "working" if he has no computer?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Ebay,

I guess I will note what happens with the return/refund request later, It was listed as "Used and working" but untested because the person doesn't have a computer...
I said, IDK what effect on my obtaining a return will have on them gaining a return on a item they seem to have obtained without a computer to test it on that they resold because it smelled funny. But that I think based on the listing conditions and that it probably isn't what was listed that I think I have a viable refund request reason.

They can't do "no returns" for fraud. Tell them to either refund your money or you're going to file a fraud report with PayPal. If it does in fact have a VGA port, it's not an RX 580. I guess theoretically there could be some odd OEM or Chinese one with a VGA port -- weirder things have happened -- but none of the XFX 580s have a VGA port.

Do you have a link to the listing?

Mar 30, 2021
Lol, they admitted that I was right as to why I believed I had a viable reason to request a refund. Then said that the "Used and for parts" ones are all ready selling for $300 on ebay and that they really needed the money...
I just told them that was another point that raised my suspicion to the legitimacy of the purpose of why they listed as they did because they could have easily gotten that $250 for listing it properly instead of listing it fraduantly Went on a speel about the legitemacy of their economic status isn't something I am feasibly able to verify, how upset I am with the lack of conductivity within the government and that everyone would be in a better position if they did their duty instead of what their duty says not to do, and told them I would let it go and let them keep the $250 just because I saw the graphics card listing on XfXForce and NewEgg with the VGA port, pretty random, although what they did was ethically wrong and that they are probably 99% lying to me. >< So, now I am an accomplice, not really, but one can dream. ><

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Lol, they admitted that I was right as to why I believed I had a viable reason to request a refund. Then said that the "Used and for parts" ones are all ready selling for $300 on ebay and that they really needed the money...
I just told them that was another point that raised my suspicion to the legitimacy of the purpose of why they listed as they did because they could have easily gotten that $250 for listing it properly instead of listing it fraduantly Went on a speel about the legitemacy of their economic status isn't something I am feasibly able to verify, how upset I am with the lack of conductivity within the government and that everyone would be in a better position if they did their duty instead of what their duty says not to do, and told them I would let it go and let them keep the $250 just because I saw the graphics card listing on XfXForce and NewEgg with the VGA port, pretty random, although what they did was ethically wrong and that they are probably 99% lying to me. >< So, now I am an accomplice, not really, but one can dream. ><

You really shouldn't. Scammers like this, if they even bother to reply, always have a sob story like this. I really think you should file the fraud case and if you don't need the $250, I'd donate it to a registered charity that you know will help people.