[SOLVED] XFX Rx 580 Crashing Issue

Jan 2, 2019
I bought a new card in September to upgrade from my very low end one, got a XFX - Radeon RX 580 8GB GTS Black Edition OC+.

I'm not a power user when it comes to gaming thusfar. I left all the settings as is once installed, no OC.

Last week I started having crash issues while playing PUBG. 3 times in the last week. The sessions were not overly long, both about the 2 hour mark when the crash happened. When i remove my headset I can hear the fans going full speed (I assume) and the case feels hot. At this point I have to manually reboot as both monitors have no input (black screen).

In the previous months I have had this card nothing like this has happened, even during extended sessions.

Since the second one happened, I started to monitor the gpu temp. While gaming it would get to the high 80s C very quickly (one or 2 games, roughly 30 mins). I noticed in the gpu logs that the fan was maxing out at 62% even with the temp hitting 89 C. It crashed again at this point.

I have since manually turned up the fan speed/temp ratio in Wattman to have it max out the fan over 85 C, but even with the fan going that fast the temp remains that high.

I have opened a ticket with AMD, but they are slow to reply, and the only response so far was to ask if I had replaced the thermal paste. I have not, and don't think should be an issue after only 3 months?

Any insight would be appreciated. I see a common trend is to suggest a new psu etc for similar issues, but buying new parts to try out replacements isn't an option currently.

System specs:
CPU: Intel - Core i5-6600 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H50 57 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - Z170A SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS Black Edition OC+ Video Card
Case: Raidmax - Vortex ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Rosewill - 600 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit