[SOLVED] XFX RX 580 XXX 8GB OC+ restarts windows while gaming

Sep 22, 2019
I recently bought a used XFX RX 580 8GB OC+ card. I installed it, I ran the Furmark benchmark test, it was fine, temperatures were normal, but when I ran the Heaven benchmark, the system restarts and then the fans would go full speed for short time and then windows will appear. I also played some " A plague tale: Innocence" it ran fine for like 5 minutes and then my system would restart. I removed the card and installed my brother's Saphire RX 570, it ran fine on both Furmark and Heaven benchmarks, and I also played the " A plague tale: Innocence", it ran fine .

So now my question is that is my PSU bad or is the XFX RX 580 faulty ?

Note: My PSU is Corsair VS650.

Solution
After a restart, make note of the time & date, reboot and open event viewer, look for events in windows logs > system, and windows logs > application, if you don't see anything really other than event id 41 power loss, shut down without properly rebooting or whatever it says then 99 times out of 100 it's PSU related
Sep 22, 2019
Intel Core i5 4440
8 gb ddr3 ram corsair vengeance
asus z-87k mobo
corsair vs-650 psu
western digital green 1 TB 7200 rpm
XFX RX 580 8gb OCplus

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'd say it could be either the psu or the card itself... or a combination of both.
RX 580 is a little more power hungry - at least 25% more than RX 570 - and it may be just enough to trip the psu off...
I know, it sounds like BS, but the Corsair VS 650 isn't exactly a stellar unit either.

The other, being that the RX 580 was one of the most popular graphics cards during the mining craze...
Miners ran these cards to death/near death. Once the craze died down, there were suddenly a bunch of used RX 400-500, and GTX 1060s in the 2nd hand market as miners tried to recuperate their losses.

In Msi Afterburner: Have you tried underclocking the card? Decreasing the power limits?
Have other games to test with?

Sep 22, 2019
well DOOM ran fine on 1080p ultra with vsync at 60 fps.
about using msi afterburner well i wont do that as the seller gave me a 7 day warranty, so tomorrow i will go to him.

Sep 15, 2019
Might be the cards fault actually. did you ask him whether the card was used in mining or not?
Once the craze died down, there were suddenly a bunch of used RX 400-500, and GTX 1060s in the 2nd hand market as miners tried to recuperate their losses.
Could the buyer flash the graphics card with mining bios? that must have been the problem i guess.

Sep 22, 2019
well I do not have in depth knowledge of GPUs, i will just take this GPU and my computer to the seller's shop and show him what is happenning when i play the game.

Sep 22, 2019
ok I read somewhere that sometimes installing a previous driver version works. I went to the XFX official website and found out that Adrenalin 19.8.2 is recommended so i installed that one.

Now here it gets more interesting, when benchmarked on heaven with d3D 11 API, 1080p, ultra quality, all 26 scenes ran fine. the benchmark was complete.
After that i selected OpenGL API , again all 26 scenes ran fine.
BUT when i select d3D 9 API, the windows crashes and restarts at the very first scene.

during the benchmarks i kept looking at global wattman, the power consumption was max 144 W.

so tell me guys now, is the card faulty or is it the PSU ?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Might be the cards fault actually. did you ask him whether the card was used in mining or not?

Could the buyer flash the graphics card with mining bios? that must have been the problem i guess.
People can lie... they know they're less likely to make a sale if they mention the card was used for mining... so, 'it wasn't'.
Gotta be careful when flashing custom bioses, they can sometimes just flat out brick cards.

ok I read somewhere that sometimes installing a previous driver version works. I went to the XFX official website and found out that Adrenalin 19.8.2 is recommended so i installed that one.

Now here it gets more interesting, when benchmarked on heaven with d3D 11 API, 1080p, ultra quality, all 26 scenes ran fine. the benchmark was complete.
After that i selected OpenGL API , again all 26 scenes ran fine.
BUT when i select d3D 9 API, the windows crashes and restarts at the very first scene.

during the benchmarks i kept looking at global wattman, the power consumption was max 144 W.

so tell me guys now, is the card faulty or is it the PSU ?

Could still be drivers, but DX 9 is old now, so this tells me, the card would crash in older titles. More recent games use DX 11, 12, Vulkan, and OpenGL...

That, or your Windows is missing some of the DX 9 driver files.
But first, check to see if Windows is missing or has any corrupted files: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

- When using a 'clean' Windows 10 (7 or 8) install it's advisable to run the DirectX Web Installer to 'update' DX.
Note that the Web Installer only installs 'missing' files and does not overwrite corrupt files as does the full DX Redist installer.

Download here:
Download DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer from Official Microsoft Download Center

- Another common misconception is that you need to install DX 9.0c to run older DX9 games. Not so.
This version has been superseded by the DX Redist (June 2010) which has all of the DX9.0c files, and more.
This installer is the best option if DirectX files are corrupted.

Download here:
Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - DirectX Redist (June 2010)

Go here^and LINK your results.
I can use the card's subsystem ID from there to find if it was using a custom bios or not.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, so it's not running a custom bios.
The only thing that really stands out from the benchmark results is the single stick of ram, but that's not going to cause instant restarts.

This issue is leaning more towards the power supply now. How long have you had it for?
That unit is probably ok for just a few years, even less with more power hungry parts, and this RX 580 was just enough for the psu to give you the bird.

Sep 22, 2019
Well I bought this PSU back in 2014.
Also I installed the DirectX runtime, someone told me to NOT use any VGA to HDMI converters, so I brought my brother's HDMI monitor.
Now i played the '' A Plage Tale: Innocence " for more than 2 hours, the system did not crash, GPU is working fine.
But that Heaven DirectX 9 benchmark is still crashing.
I also tried to play both "AC:Unity" and "Crysis 3", Both crashed after 5 minutes.

So concluding all this, should I keep this card and buy another PSU OR should I return this card and keep the PSU because my brother's Saphire RX-570 was fine on every benchmark.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)A Plague Tale: Innocence is a DX 11 title.
2)Both AC: Unity and the 'ultimate system benchmark', Crysis 3(XD), are going to be much harder on total system power over Plague Tale. It only makes sense they crashed so early in.
3)If DX 9 drivers aren't missing, then I'm lead to believe that it isn't very power efficient - [but I would need someone else to correct me on this.]

Have you tried lowering the RX 580s power limit in Msi Afterburner yet? Take the slider as far down as it'll go, hit Apply, and see if it still crashes.

Sep 15, 2019
Well I bought this PSU back in 2014.
Also I installed the DirectX runtime, someone told me to NOT use any VGA to HDMI converters, so I brought my brother's HDMI monitor.
Now i played the '' A Plage Tale: Innocence " for more than 2 hours, the system did not crash, GPU is working fine.
But that Heaven DirectX 9 benchmark is still crashing.
I also tried to play both "AC:Unity" and "Crysis 3", Both crashed after 5 minutes.

So concluding all this, should I keep this card and buy another PSU OR should I return this card and keep the PSU because my brother's Saphire RX-570 was fine on every benchmark.
Can you run a Memtest86 on your system? just to be sure.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
After a restart, make note of the time & date, reboot and open event viewer, look for events in windows logs > system, and windows logs > application, if you don't see anything really other than event id 41 power loss, shut down without properly rebooting or whatever it says then 99 times out of 100 it's PSU related

Solution
Sep 22, 2019
Yes, it was the PSU, got it replaced. I bought a used ANTEC BP550 plus. Now everything is fine. I tried both heaven benchmarks (Directx9 and Directx11), no more crashes.
The temperature of GPU reaches maximum 85 degree C and fan speed was 3150 rpm while I was playing "A Plague Tale: Innocence" at 1080p, ultra settings with Vsync for three straight hours. Is that temp. normal ?

Reactions: Aashirbad Thapa

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it was the PSU, got it replaced. I bought a used ANTEC BP550 plus. Now everything is fine. I tried both heaven benchmarks (Directx9 and Directx11), no more crashes.
The temperature of GPU reaches maximum 85 degree C and fan speed was 3150 rpm while I was playing "A Plague Tale: Innocence" at 1080p, ultra settings with Vsync for three straight hours. Is that temp. normal ?
That's a tad warm, actually.
What is your case, and how is your airflow set up? It's generally front to back, and bottom to top.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My case is: Corsair Carbide 200R
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Carbide-Series™-200R-Compact-ATX-Case/p/CC-9011023-WW

Case has two fans, one at back and one at front. I have also installed one extra fan at bottom.
You'll have to make use of the side-bottom fan placement to help with gpu temps, because the front panel intake fan kind of blows over it into the cpu, and the bottom intake fan just doesn't have enough access to air, because the case sits too low to the floor.
Rear and top exhaust should be a non-issue as long as you don't put a filter over them.

Sep 22, 2019
I used the side-bottom fan, and I have to say the results are fascinating, the max temp is now 74 degree C. Thats like 10 degree more cooling now. Before installing the fan at side bottom it was max 84 degree and now it is 74 degree C.
Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: Phaaze88