Question XFX RX590 temp and MSI afterburner questions

Phil_33

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
Hi,

So recently I've bought an RX590 from XFX. And even more recently, I've bought a display 144hz 1ms 1080p.

At first I thought it was nothing but ever since I set my screen to 144hz limit with every game, especially with BO3, my card started to get noisy. I didn't care much about the noise but when I started to look at the temps of my card, they were intot he 80's. Max was 87 with an avg of 76. I did nothing to the card, no OC'ing, no program, just plugin and play. The fans speeded up and stayed spinning even when I was in loading screens. When I ended the game, the fans started to go slower and slower slightly as if they needed some time to run off...

Here's the odd thing. My brother said I should download MSI afterburner. So I did today and suddenly the fans started to respond much quicker with hearable dips while I was in loading screen and they were verry quick and easaly stopped when I stopped with the game.

My questions now are, what happend? Did I bring damage to the card? And my brother also told me something about fancurves. I can see some settings but how and to what preset should I set it? Right now it's like 5000 ms with 0 degrees C Hysteresis temp. Fans are put into auto mode too. I don't intend to overclock this card.

Last edited:
Afterburner is a great monitoring/overclocking program. Even if no plans to oc the card, it's still a good program to have installed. If you just popped in the card with no software for fan control, it more than likely defaulted to a more sound balanced profile.

Even without oc fancurves can still be used to keep the card cooler. Just play around with it until you find an acceptable balance between noise/temp.

87 Is warm, but not crazy for an rx card as they all seem to run fairly warm. With afterburner on, watch the clock speed and see if it throttles. If it does, turn up the fan speed. Set it to go full or close to full fan by 70ish, and it shouldn't get as warm.

Phil_33

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
Afterburner is a great monitoring/overclocking program. Even if no plans to oc the card, it's still a good program to have installed. If you just popped in the card with no software for fan control, it more than likely defaulted to a more sound balanced profile.

Even without oc fancurves can still be used to keep the card cooler. Just play around with it until you find an acceptable balance between noise/temp.

87 Is warm, but not crazy for an rx card as they all seem to run fairly warm. With afterburner on, watch the clock speed and see if it throttles. If it does, turn up the fan speed. Set it to go full or close to full fan by 70ish, and it shouldn't get as warm.

Thanks for the explanation. However, I don't know how fancurves work with afterburner. Atm it stands at 5000ms and 0 hytesis or something. I don't know to which value I should set it or what to do with the curve. 70-75 is what I like to see for temps.

EDIT: I've found that you can play with the curve itself. Still don't know which values I should set the "ms" to. And do the fans wear off?
Temps now stay at 70-75 avg with 79 max. So that's good. I could cool it even better if I take it up to 95 at 70 degrees.

Also, yesterday I accidentally played BO3 for half an hour and I set the fans unconsionsly to 43%. Without fully realising I didn't put it in auto mode and the card went to 90 degrees max. Now I searched and it was nothing as these cards can handle 95 max, but I now know that I gotta be carefull with it.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019
How can you "accidentally" play BO3?

Kidding aside. The RX 590 does run hot I would assume, since my RX 480 which is 2 generations behind from your card already reaches 80C at times and yours is just an overclocked version of this card.

But yeah, afterburner really is a very good monitoring tool as well as an overclocking tool.

What I would suggest is to undervolt your card. Maybe start off with -50 for core voltage. Less volts=Less heat.

Next is to set a more aggressive fan curve. You can put 0rpm for 55C so it doesn't start spinning while you're working on the desktop or browsing the web. And maybe a 40% @ 60C or 65C. And 60% at 75C. You can try higher fan speed but I just couldn't handle the noise, maybe you can.

Don't worry about your fans spinning at very high rpms. They're meant to do that. And they're there to keep your card cool anyway, so utilize them.

Again, I would stress about undervolting, it usually help stabilize the RX cards even without bumping up the core clock which RX 590 in itself is way overclocked.

Phil_33

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
How can you "accidentally" play BO3?

Kidding aside. The RX 590 does run hot I would assume, since my RX 480 which is 2 generations behind from your card already reaches 80C at times and yours is just an overclocked version of this card.

But yeah, afterburner really is a very good monitoring tool as well as an overclocking tool.

What I would suggest is to undervolt your card. Maybe start off with -50 for core voltage. Less volts=Less heat.

Next is to set a more aggressive fan curve. You can put 0rpm for 55C so it doesn't start spinning while you're working on the desktop or browsing the web. And maybe a 40% @ 60C or 65C. And 60% at 75C. You can try higher fan speed but I just couldn't handle the noise, maybe you can.

Don't worry about your fans spinning at very high rpms. They're meant to do that. And they're there to keep your card cool anyway, so utilize them.

Again, I would stress about undervolting, it usually help stabilize the RX cards even without bumping up the core clock which RX 590 in itself is way overclocked.

The temps now stay at 70-75ayvg with 79 max so that's good. I didn't undervolt yet, I'm not familiar with this so I should ask someone or see a tutorial of it. I'm actually ok with those temps if it is designed to wear temps that hot then np wearing 75 degrees. What I did was changed the curve indeed. It always starts at 40 standard, it goes to 60 when it reaches 50 degrees, goes to 95 when it reaches 70 degrees and 100 on 80 degrees. I'll adjust from 0 onwards. Can I place more markers?
And what about the 5000 ms/0hytesis? Leave it at that?