xg270hu Freesync with...GTX?

Kyle_James

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016
so basically for 400$ ACER makes this 1440p 144HZ 1MS display.
The panel is TN yes, but bang for the buck is...well good.
My question is, can I just ignore Freesync with my GTX 980Ti strix card?
I really want to try out this display, so do any of you have one, better yet...do any of you have one with a GTX card and how is your experience.
Yes I do understand the different of gsync and freesync
Thanks Guys

Solution
Exactly. There's no negative impact from having an Nvidia card with a Freesync monitor. You just don't get the benefits. If your card can maintain near 144hz then you won't see tearing. Any games playing around 200+ you may want to enable vsync, otherwise it sounds like it's working well.

ZachyBeat

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
What freesync will do is help sync the frames when they're "offbeat"; when the monitor is refreshing at a different rate than the GPU is generating frames. What usually happens is when you have 100+ fps on a 60hz panel the GPU has to pause to hold that frame while the monitor tries to catch up. What Vsync does is makes your GPU generate at a cap of 60fps (or whatever your monitors refresh rate is) so they are timed properly and no longer causing tearing.

From my understanding Freesync only works on AMD cards as Gsync is for Nvidia cards. It will run like a monitor without Freesync. So if you're running at 60fps or 100fps you may have issues since it's far below the refresh rate but if you can play games in the high 100s on medium-high settings as you should with a 980ti, you'll be golden. Maybe AMD will be at the top next time and it might be worth upgrading to their GPUs :p Who knows!

Kyle_James

Reputable
Feb 3, 2016
I ended up buying the monitor ZachyBeat. I have it set to 144hz and games like fallout on ultra get over 100fps easy.
I have played call of duty, and counterstrike on high with about 135-140 fps and theres no tearing or stuttering so I am guessing that the monitor is running good? Haha. It is a 2k monitor so there are some little things I turn down to get it running smooth, but because the monitor is locked at 144hz...that means my card and get those higher FPS without stutter right? The freesync thing, doesnt work obviously with Nvidia, but from my experience having it on here doesnt effect anything.

ZachyBeat

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
Exactly. There's no negative impact from having an Nvidia card with a Freesync monitor. You just don't get the benefits. If your card can maintain near 144hz then you won't see tearing. Any games playing around 200+ you may want to enable vsync, otherwise it sounds like it's working well.

Solution