XGA or SXGA; does it make a difference?

digikid

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
I'm about to purchase a laptop, and I've found a nice one in Compaq's 920ca (Canadian version, 920us in the States?). It's got all I want, AMD2000, 512MB DDR, CD-RW/DVD, etc., but only an XGA display (15"). This means that the max. resolution is 1024x768, right? The screen one step up is the SXGA, with a max resolution of 1400x1050 (that's enough, I think; don't usually exceed that on my desktop).

Question: will I eventually get annoyed at the low XGA resolution and wished that I went for a higher end laptop with an SXGA screen, perhaps an IBM or a Dell? I'm quite fond of desktop real-estate, being used to Linux and multiple desktops...

Thanks for your input!

:lol: <b><font color=blue>gnintsakgnirkskir ksron</font color=blue></b> :lol:

casiowatch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2002
I'm not an expert, but I think once you go higher resolution, each of the icons, well everything, becomes smaller. If you try it on your desktop you'll see what i mean.

For laptops, it depends on what you like. Go to some stores and ask them to show you the different resolutions: XGA, SXGA, UltraXGA and such. I found out that the XGA, which is 1024x768 (for a 14.4" screen) offered an aesthetically pleasing visual environment. I have the compaq 700us (united states, ca is Canadian like you said).

All i can say is ask and take some notes. Usually the UXGA is too much for some people, and 1024x768 is just right for them, but don't take my word for it. But remember, take into consideration the size of the screen. If your getting a big screen, go for a higher resolution. As for getting annoyed, unless your switching from a higher resolution (desktop) to lower resolution (laptop) frequency, there shouldn't be any annoyance. Buf if you do, you'll most certainly be thinking the 1024x768 is blurry while higher resolution is clearer. Happened to me, got used to it.

Good luck on your laptop purchase. Try to find out as much information as you can because laptops aren't really easily upgradeable and you want something that suits you right. I use mine for general office work and some simple programming.

-----
<b>All the world's problems can be solved through COMMON SENSE<b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by casiowatch on 12/26/02 00:16 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
no, SXGA+ is 1400x1050.

I would go for SXGA. I got a UXGA when I purchased my notebook, and I have NEVER regreted it. In fact I can't go back now, I look at other notebook screens at 1024x768 and it almost makes me ill the difference is so great.

Dell I8200
==========
Pentium 4-m 1.7GHz
15" UXGA TFT
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 64MB
384MB RAM
30GB HDD
8x DVD (fixed)
24x CD-R/RW (modular)

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
I don't know what SXGA "should" be, all that I know is that all current notebooks with "SXGA" TFT LCD's run at a resolution 1400x1050 -And that is what matters.

Some manufacturers like Dell use the term SXGA+, others like Compaq use SXGA, others like Toshiba make typos and say "SXGA at 1600x1200 resolution".

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Well, there you have it. Were it not for the ignorance of pc manufacturers, a lot of confusion could've been avoided.

To answer your question, no-one can give you a recommendation on a notebook monitor, you will just have to see the difference with your own eyes and make up your own mind.