Xi3 Teams Up with Scuf Gaming for Piston Controllers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Sorry, I just really can't see how these piston consoles are going to succeed in the long run. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but $1000 really? That's too much to pay for the specs even though they're so conveniently small. For $1000 you could easily make a PC that could run Battlefield 4 on high-ultra settings in a small form factor case. It won't be hand sized of course, but I mean come on. The piston is going to cater to a very niche market in my opinion, but I guess that's why we love Steam; they try to give something to everyone.

xroe

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013

Yes but the optimization is sometimes lacking as is the porting of certain titles. Also its more competition, that's never a bad thing.

myromance123

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
What's going to happen to the Xi3 Piston if Valve release models of their own steam machine that are lower priced, with higher quality grade components in them?

If the prototype specs from Valve are anything to go by, then Xi3 might be in for some real trouble in the near future.

"Seriously, the Piston is looking more like a Steam Machine with each announcement!"

If Xi3's piston was a Steam Machine, wouldn't they be having the Steam Controller and not some other controller?

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Is this another KickStarter project console? I'm really confused on the $999 price tag and the completely junk system specs.

This is funny... When you go to the link at the end of the article look at the Displays x3 and get a preview of the 16-bit shooter you'll be playing on this system.

Seriously... What game houses are producing AAA titles for a linux OS variant?

I honestly welcome competition in any market, but seriously!?

joe gamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
With the Xi3 you are paying for the small formfactor rather than the processing/gaming power, "hurr hurr 1k for weaksauce hardware, faelbaux!"...yeah, it is a poor value spec-wise BUT it fits in the palm of your hand. It's a niche product for people who haven't got the space for a larger machine, it's not meant for you or me. My Antec 1200 is what, 100x larger lol.

joe gamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
That's supposed to be 10x...The Xi3 got a lot of free press by implying that they were making a steambox back when we were all foaming at the mouth for steambox news(turns out that they have no affiliation/coordination with Valve). It's not really what I'd call news-worthy anymore, niche company making a niche product. /shrug

Status
Not open for further replies.