Xiaomi To Launch $100 Android Tablet With iPad Mini-Like Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan
I would like to see what they could do if they aimed for the $200 instead of $100. There are far too many 720-800p tablets all over the $50 to $250 range out there already; I would like to see someone bring 1080-1200p down into that price range to fill the shoes left behind by the N7-2013.

alextheblue

Distinguished
It might be great for $100 but the comparison to an iPad mini (or really any similar-size Android tablet in the $200+ price range) is just downright silly. I don't care for iPads but the comparison to an iPad mini is just terrible. Definitely not worth a news article to crow about it.

It's a cheap low-end tablet with low-end specs. I mean serious, Adreno 306? Wow that's really going to take on the G6430. At least the inferior low-resolution display should boost framerates. Speaking of display quality, build quality is guaranteed to be similar to other low-end devices.

ichihaifu

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
The article image is misleading, Mi 4 is not the device which this article is about, Mi 4 will be their new flagship smartphone model which has already been out for some time, although only in western continents. That model is in price range of 350$-400$.

ET3D

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2012
alextheblue, agreed. That comparison is silly.

InvalidError, there are Chinese tablets with pretty good specs for $200. 8" tablets with retina (2048x1536) displays, 2GB RAM, RK3288 (Cortex A17, Mali T764), such as the FNF ifive mini4 and Pipo P8. They unfortunately suffer from the usual lack of quality control of such brands. Would be nice if a company which actually cares to release something nice and finished and with some real support released something like that.

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
S400 is really bad on CPU and GPU side. It also have compatibility issues with AA32 code as used A53 is r0.0 that have those problems. S615 is not struck by this as used A53 rev is 1.0 with fixed compatibility problem, still GPU is not so good on it & it's stupid little little CPU config. Booth SoCs are not competitive to concurrently ones from MTK (I don't know what Marvell used but old LE Vivante GPU can't be good).
I do recommend you to skip the product's based on those Qualcomm SoCs.

A source for mentioned CPU info & comparation:
http://mobilesemi.blogspot.com/2014/09/early-test-results-suggest-cortex-a53.html?m=1
With a lolli the CPU performance is 5-10% up.
For GPU performance comparison you can use GFX bench results or this table as a reference expectations one:
http://kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/

It's time to strike back they co founder's that are trying to sell you defective uncompetitive devices.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I'd be more enthused if this weren't a chinese android device company. The Android OS sees rapid development and improvements on the software side and most of the time Chinese devices stop producing their own device specific ROM's after just a few months and never release the source code. The GPL doesn't have any power in China so while they are breaking the law there's nothing that can be done to make them comply. People that buy these devices from China will find themselves with outdated proprietary ROM's and no option to use alternatives like Cyanogenmod or AOKP because of the lack of source code.

Orionds

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
I like the Xiaomi name which means quality and the 9.2-inch size. But, the 720p output is a no-no.

Chinese tablets have already risen and, locally, we can buy 7-inch tablets with 1080p output, 1Gb ram, 16Gb storage, quad-core cpu for $70 to $80. Though less famous than Xiaomi, these other Chinese brands have already built a reputation for good quality and performance.

Xiaomi should reconsider and produce the same size with 1080p output, quad-core at, let's say, $110 to $120.

Status
Not open for further replies.