Xig S1283 bracket install without using sticky bond on back?

hypnotico

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
This is my first build and I am mounting my Xigmatek S1283 to my mobo. The bracket set I bought to use to make mounting a dream (instead of the pushpins) has this sticky stuff to make it bond to the back of the motherboard.

My question is: is it really even necessary to stick it on? Could i just leave the sticky stuff covered?

I have heard that uninstalling a S1283 bracket is a pain because the bond that it creates with the mobo.

Honestly, I dont see myself using any other type of cooler on this mobo, but I hate the idea of this thing being permanently attached.

- Hypnotico

Mine is still on order, but I would think it's just a matter of having an extra pair of hands. With the sticky tape, you can probably do it solo.

Might depend on your case as well. If you can install the cooler outside the case or not.

doomturkey

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
I wouldn't see leaving it on there as a big deal. You will probably end up keeping that cooler for a while, its pretty high quality. By the time you want a new cooler, you are probably going to be buying a new CPU/mobo anyways.

But, you could always try leaving the sticky stuff covered. As long as the cooler is set in there nice and solid, without any chance of moving around, you should be ok.

hypnotico

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Thanks. I decided to leave the cover over the adhesive. It would be easier to have it stuck on if doing a solo install. I did the install by myself, but it took a little patience and carefulness. I hope this cooler holds up well, it has great reviews, but the quality of the the thing could be higher. Like trying to mount the fan on it was WWIII. Anyway, the cooler is securely fastened to the board, and I'm so glad I got the retention bracket. The push-pins look so confusing to use. :D

- Hypnotico