Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and ACK-I7751 bracket

billin30

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I am about to install this heat sink and bracket on a Q9550. I am wondering about the sticky tape on the bracket. I have heard that it is impossible or very difficult to get off once it is stuck on there. Do you have to peal off the cover, or can you just leave it so it doesnt stick. Seems like its not going anywhere once you have it screwed down.

Does that heatsink come with the thermal paste already applied and if so, is it any good, or would you suggest using some AS-5?

Thanks,
Zach

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
you nailed it. The sticky tape is an option but once you have it screwed down then it doesnt really matter.

As for the s1283 it doesn't come pre applied with thermal compound. I would recommend using a very small line of AS-5 on each of the heatpipes (3 total)

billin30

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Do you recommend smoothing out the paste before applying, or just applying the line and sticking it on there and led it spread when you tighten it down?

billin30

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Ok, that is what I did when I did my Q6600, but I have heard about people speading it thin with a credit card. Just wondering what was the best.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
That is just what i have heard to work best. If you have time it defenatally wouldn't hurt to try both ways and see what gives better performance.

Air is not a good conductor of heat.
To get the most out of the HDT series of coolers you should first spread the TIM on the heatsink so that it fills up the voids between the pipes and base.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
^If you spread it first just make sure that you don't put too much thermal compound on, as that is really easy to do and will drastically hurt your temps.

Ps do you have an link to an article comparing the 2 ways? I was looking for one a few months ago and wasn't able to find anything really solid on the matter.

Air is an insulator. This is why foam keeps your beverages warm/cold ;)

When I installed my xigmatek i did two thin lines, its worked out well for several months now.

You'll get better cooling performance from the Xiggy if you lapp it, and it even takes a thinner thermal compound layer afterwards.

I always spread a thin even layer across the CPU then mount the heatsink.

XiggyLapp.jpg

Exactly, and the small pockets of air that can be created by not making sure to fill the voids can cause a loss of heatsink performance ( however small it may be ).
I drug a blob of AS5 across the bottom of my 1284 with a razor blade, then used 2 thin lines.