Xigmatek -- lapping and change stock fan

quaduser

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
I'm getting an Intel Q6600 quad with a Gigabyte mobo (either DS3R or DS3L). Plan to OC to 3.0 Ghz.

It looks like the most popular option for cooling is the Xigmatek S1283.

Three questions:

1. Any better suggestions than the Xigmatek? (The Zalman 9500 is available for just ~ $20 on ebay from a reputable seller but is that enough?)

2. Does the Xigmatek need to be lapped like the TRUE? Is it a good flat head on the HS or is it concave / convex etc? Should I be lapping the Q6600 as well independent of the heatsink I'm using?

3. Stock fan on the Xigmatek -- how loud is it? Suggested replacements, if any?

Thanks! Hope this will help many others too as it is a popular configuration..

halcyon

Splendid
The Xig'1283 doesn't need to be lapped like the TRUE (Heck, does ANYTHING need to be lapped like the TRUE does? While the stock fan on the 1283 is good...and quiet, it doesn't beat a Scythe SFlex for performance or noise. Were it me, I'd marry the 1283 to Scythe SFlex 'F for the same/less noise and better CFM. Some would say just use the Scythe SFlex 'E @ 1.2K RPM its quiet for its high performance...but you put an 'F on it and you've got high CFM and still pretty low noise.

So, no, I don't think you need to lap the '1283. ...and while the stock fan is quiet you can indeed do better.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I can only answer one from experience...

My q6600 (B3) was horribly un-flat around the corners, after lapped it temps dropped 4 degrees averaged from the 4 cores.

For 5$ it is the best way to lose heat.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I'd recommend evaluating the processor when you get it. I have had a few of them, and they have ranged to mostly flat requiring no lapping, to slanted, requiring removing half the IHS!

It was obviously not flat at all. So just take a peek. Lapping of course tosses the 3 year warranty out the window.

For 3.0 you can prolly use the Stock cooler, hehe, unless its hot where you live! But normally people announce they will just be wanting x.xxx and then you get addicted to the power, and higher it goes. 3.6 is quite simple on just about all q6600s now a days, and the xiggy will get you there.

The stock fan is pretty quiet. I replaced it with a Scythe Kaze! yee haw! Its like working in a wind tunnel now! And it freezes you quite well, along with the heat sink.

Lap the xiggy lightly if you do it, remember, the heat pipes are hollow! And they somewhat flattened the area you would have to lap already, so who knows the thickness of 'em?

When you get yer q6600 Please run Core temp and list the VID of it here! Retail box? 1.3000, or 1.3250? hehehe, maybe 1.3125?

--Lupi

Steven Bancroft

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I dont own the HS your referring to but I have heard many good things. If you're thinking of lapping, it is defintly worth lapping both the CPU and the HS. This way you have 2 flat surfaces, and not just 1. I posted this thread a bit ago about my experience lapping my Arctic Freezer 7 pro and had great results.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=28&post=249849&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=3&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

When you get your hardware, set it up and evaluate your temps as you overclock using Coretemp. If its a little high for you and you feel comfortable lapping go for it! I would love to see the results of lapping both the Q6600 and a Xiggy! Take pics so we can all enjoy!!

rojito

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
If you plan to get only 3.0 GHZ there's no need to lap any high end cpu cooler, since your temps are going to be very low anyway...
P.D.: Assuming you will get G0 Stepping.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
I just Lap everything now.. its part of building a PC. I hate takin stuff apart and then putting back together, its just easier to do it when you get it.

Same here.

@OP: Check you temps first and then decide to lapp.

Verillion

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008

There should be no stock temps in real computers =)

quaduser

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2008
Thanks for all those very helpful replies! I think I might pass on lapping the Q6600 since I've never lapped before and the idea of sandpapering a $200 CPU!!%#$%#! I promise to stay at 3.0 Ghz!! Well, we'll see.. not going past 3.3 or so at any rate.

I was planning to buy my Q6600 on Amazon (no taxes, free 2 day shipping with Amazon Prime!).. I hope no one is handing out B3s anymore and that I get a G0! Does anyone know about vendors who don't give out all G0s? Is Amazon one of them?

The Scythe fan suggested below is a 120mm case fan -- is that OK to mount on a heatsink? I assumed there were special fans but I guess not... just thought plastic wouldn't be the best thing to press again a heatsink at 50 - 60 C..

Thanks again! Will post complete description of everything I do once I build it in some weeks... case mods and all.

rojito

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
If you don't have a lot of money (I'll assume that since you're not buying the TRUE or anything fancy) keep the stock fan at the beginning, I doubt you'll be disappointed since you won't be doing extreme overclocking.
About Amazon, it used to say they only ship G0 stepping, I bought My Q6600 there about 6 months ago because it said that.

new2toms

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
I first bought my q6600 at newegg about a month ago and it was a b3. I rma'ed it back and got g0 from Microcenter.