draekin13

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
I hope I am posting this in the right spot that someone can help. I am getting the Xigmatek S1283 today. Looking at it the way it mounts to the motherboard on the AMD socket it will be blowing air up. Is there a way to mount this cooler so that it is blowing air from front to back of the case? Wouldn't that be a better air flow in the case? Or is blowing bottom to top better? The other thing I am hoping is a little more room for ram. GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P is the mobo I have and the case is the Antec 900 if that info is needed also.

Thanks in advance

optiprimox

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
I prefer blowing air in the direction of the case - ie for most towers front to back instead of top to bottom. It just seems to make more since - although you probably won't see much of a difference in overall cpu heat (may be a few degrees, if that)... if you see more, it may be your case is not blowing right.

I don't think there is a way to mount it front to back - you have to use the ridges on the block to align with the retainer and the heatpipes will block the retainer the other way.

draekin13

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Ya I have realized that it really doesn't matter much. Built the system OC'd to 3.5 and still only topping out at 32 degrees. It also stills just tall enough to use all the ram slots which is what I was worried about.

45mapper

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
draekin13 maybe you can help me out, I have a 7750 Kuma CPU, and I'm about to choose between Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 and Xigmatek S1283. What is the 100% load temp for your setup? 32C seems too cold for 100% load.

draekin13

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
Ya it runs 32.5 on full load oc'd to 3.5 ghz. I ran prime95 for several hours and that is where it topped out. That is with the case fans in the Antec 900 on medium. Idle temp was 24C. I have all the fans on low and under my desk and it runs a little bit higher. 100% load is 35C and idle is 25C. My house is also kept very cool. Right around 21C. I actually have the dark knight nickel plated one.

pscrzy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I have the same mobo and I'm thinking about getting the dark knight version. Is there a good amount of clearence for ram? Also what ram do you have, I have g-skill and is there enough room fir the optional side fan in the case?

ltwo

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
i have the S1283 Red Scorpion for my Phenom II 720.
currently overclocked to 3.2GHz - idle 21c - load 31c
will overclock more after i get my graphics card.

however, there's no room for my memory in the first slot.
but that's because i have this http://www.techgadgets.in/images/kingston-hyperx-t1-series-memory-modules.jpg

there's also no room for my Antec 900 chassis fan after i mounted the CPU cooler. i couldn't close the case if i didn't take off the chassis fan.