[SOLVED] xmp and dcop questions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
hi guys,

i have only just found out about this while doing benchmark on it, when i checked my ram, it said something like my ram is not performing right and that i should try xmp. when i changed it to profile 1, it gave me a message saying it is performing good now and at 48 percent. so i thought i would try the 2nd profile and that gave me extra 6 percent at 54. question is is this safe in long run?

also i am thinking about activating dcop too just so i dont waste any of the ram as i think the motherboard limits the rams speed.

many thanks guys

Solution
It's safe. Xmp/Docp is just a mode which reads the memory's embedded profile, like a preset, and adjusts motherboard's ram settings accordingly to the memory's specification. Not only does Xmp/Docp allow you to set the maximum speed the modules are capable of but it also sets primary/secondary timings and voltage as well for stability.

Run Cpuz and look under SPD tab to check your ram's Xmp profile speeds. Memory tab will say the frequency they are currently running at. This reading is in single data rate so it'll be halved, times it by two for double data rate.

Docp is a terminology used by Asus on their boards, it is Xmp under a different name. Unlike other motherboard manufacturer's, Asus doesn't pay Intel royalties for the naming...

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Well you run an old bios from "03-07-2013" when the latest is from "28-04-2016" version 3.40. Might be good to update.

Most of the system seems to run fine though, being the gpu which is least impressive.
how do i update the bios?

yours is very impressive, you should pat yourself on back, bet that took ages to get that set up.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Updating the bios is done within the bios, there is an update tool. You download the latest bios, unpack it, put the unpacked file onto an preferably empty usb stick in FAT32 format. You put the stick in before starting the pc, then start the pc and get into the bios, find the update tool or maybe use an "F" shortcut (might for instance be F6, migth be given in the "post") and start the update process, if the update tool recognizes the file update and make sure the update process isn't interrupted.

My AMD pc is okay in the ranks of pc's, but thanks.😁

Reactions: froggy8

froggy8

Reputable
Nov 23, 2019
Updating the bios is done within the bios, there is an update tool. You download the latest bios, unpack it, put the unpacked file onto an preferably empty usb stick in FAT32 format. You put the stick in before starting the pc, then start the pc and get into the bios, find the update tool or maybe use an "F" shortcut (might for instance be F6, migth be given in the "post") and start the update process, if the update tool recognizes the file update and make sure the update process isn't interrupted.

My AMD pc is okay in the ranks of pc's, but thanks.😁
very similar to installing a firmware on a ps3?

i would be so happy if mine was like that.

been looking at your components, so much better than my set up.