Jun 24, 2017
My fresh setup

Mobo: Z390 Gigabyte Aorus elite
Psu: 8 years old Seasonic bronze 620w
Memory: i tried DDR4 Gskill tridentZ 3200mhz and HyperX Fury 3600mhz both 2x8gb
Cpu: i7 9700k
Gpu: Rtx 2070s
storage: m.2 SSD, regular ssd, and sata hdd

i have no idea why those memory sticks does not want run the advertised clock... i tried it with the older bios, tried it with the newest one but whenever i select an xmp profile it just ends up with boot failiure, restarts numerous times and puts me back into bios... i can overclock the cpu easily in the bios with no peoblem so there should be no shortage of power from the old PSU... but whenever i change a frequency on the ddr4 memory it always ends up with a boot failiure... i've managed to turn on the pc with the xmp profile enabled like twice out of 50 tries... but not anymore... anybody has an idea how to troubleshoot this? I've tried even raising a voltage on them with the stock speed but even then it immidiately ends up with a failiure and wont boot...

i can run them at default speed with no problem... (gskill 3200 runs at 2133mhz and hyperx 3600 runs at 2400)
i tried even one stick at the time in each position but does not work either... there are no bent pins on the cpu socket or smth like that...

is there a chance that i would have two non compatible modules? on the Gskill memory sticks it literally says Intel 2.0 XMP compatible...

Edit: looks like its finally working... i disconnected 24 atx pin, 8pin and 4pin for the cpu, reconnected it except i did not plug in the extra cpu 4pin back for the extra power and looks like it did the thing, everything works now... its strange though...

Last edited:

Tomas99

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
Edit: looks like its finally working... i disconnected 24 atx pin, 8pin and 4pin for the cpu, reconnected it except i did not plug in the extra cpu 4pin back for the extra power and looks like it did the thing, everything works now... its strange though...

does it mean that the power supply is too weak? but it should not consume power through that 4pin connector unless the cpu requires it am i right? I mean you also does not use GPU in bios so thats alot of spare power to work with, i would expect it to fail during some stress tests or heavy gaming... maybe that exact branch is somehow weak or messed up...

i knew i would not use that extra power through that extra cpu 4pin but i wanted to have everything connected... also for example if i would want to upgrade to 9900k cpu which requires more power would it be enough without the extra 4pin connected?

@egda23 yes they were the same for both memory brands

Last edited:

Tomas99

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
well, after two weeks of flwwless xmp run, it started happening again out of nowhere, there was a windows update that required a restart and after that no matter how many tries it always ends up with a boot failiure, while cpu stays overclocked but memory falls down to 2400mhz.... i will try to unplug the connectors later after work like i did the last time but how can this start happening out of nowhere? anybody has a clue? You think its possible as ive mentioned earlier that the psu could be dying?

replugged everything, reseted cmos, nothing...

Last edited:
@rickypicky5 i know but its strange that for those two weeks when its been working flawlessly i saw no issues under heavy load... anyway as i got no other clue and so noone else i already ordered a new one, to test it...
Yes it is strange, and I don't really have a good explanation for that. Maybe the extra 4-pin CPU connection was drawing some power so when you disconnected it you recovered that power draw? And maybe it doesn't work now because your PSU has degraded even more over the past two weeks?

Maybe your BIOS settings are getting corrupted because your motherboard battery is dying?

Depending on where you purchased the new PSU, if it doesn't fix your problems you could always return it.

Tomas99

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
I just noticed neither of those RAM kits are on the QVL for your motherboard.

Your Motherboard QVL

That doesn't mean your RAM sticks won't work, it just means they haven't been tested. Maybe you should try a kit that is listed in the QVL too.
i saw a different list, but gskills were there, but i trued both of them when it was working and both brands were working with no problem when i removed that cpu 4pin. well i will try a new psu first, then if it still wont work, i will try some different brand from that list you have found, and after that, i think i would have to send the mobo back.

Tomas99

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
this is the site i used to check compatibility beforehttps://pangoly.com/en/review/gigabyte-z390-aorus-elite/compatibility/ram

now i ordered these which are from that QVL list, so i HOPE it will fix the problem...

HX432C16PB3K2/16

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
this is the site i used to check compatibility beforehttps://pangoly.com/en/review/gigabyte-z390-aorus-elite/compatibility/ram

now i ordered these which are from that QVL list, so i HOPE it will fix the problem...

HX432C16PB3K2/16
Put your 3200 memory back in and enable XMP bump the voltage up to 1.37 if that fails do the same thing but lower the speed to 3000.

The extra 4 pin has nothing to do with it!

Tomas99

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
@Zerk2012 i tried all the possible options, adding voltage with or without xmp, it always ends up with a boot failiure, even manual overclock, with suggested cas latency, and increased voltage even all the way up to 1,4V...

Tomas99

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
New RAM arrived, tested them, of course same error.... unbeleavable, decided to take the mobo out of the case. Disconnected all unecessary cables, cleared cmos, removed mobo battery for a while... still same error. Then i removed Nvme ssd, loosen an AIO screws whose could be making too much pressure on the cpu also removed one ram stick and suddenly it worked... both ram brands...so again i dont know what did it... also the most obvious one, leaving just one ram stick and then adding a second one could be what solved it... but last time i tried this a week ago and it did not help.

Tomas99

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
i have put everything back to case, started pc... everything seemed fine, selected an overclocked profile for a cpu... restarted everything works fine... using pc for 5 hours... thinking about restart to see if it still works... Guess what! Of course a boot failure and Xmp does not work again... WHy is this happening omg?????

Tomas99

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
removed second memory stick, cleared cmos nothing. relocated the lonely memory stick to a different socket, cleared cmos nothing, removed all the harddrives cleared cmos.. suddenly it worked, inserted second memory stick... boot failure, removed the second memory stick, boot failure, cleared cmos, xmp works, added second memory stick, xmp worked for both of them, pluged in the harddrives, restarted numerous times, all works fine ... ran a mem test, 0 errors....

Tomas99

Honorable
Jun 24, 2017
happened again after a restart next week, turns out whenever i remove nvme ssd where windows is installed, it works immidiately, then i plug it back again and it still works for some period of days/weeks... how is that possible? Incompatible nvme ssd?

im using A-Data XPG Gammix S11 Pro

Sep 5, 2020
happened again after a restart next week, turns out whenever i remove nvme ssd where windows is installed, it works immidiately, then i plug it back again and it still works for some period of days/weeks... how is that possible? Incompatible nvme ssd?

im using A-Data XPG Gammix S11 Pro

Heya I've been following this thread after finding the exact same problems with a similar set up. I have windows installed on an M.2 as well - did you get to the bottom of it?

TRENDING THREADS