[SOLVED] XMP does not run at advertised speed, Gigabyte B550i AORUS PRO AX, Ryzen 5800X, Viper Steel RGB 2x16GB 3600MHz

Joe boyd

Honorable
Sep 19, 2014
When selecting the XMP profile for the RAM I have installed my computer will either not boot Windows completely or boot but have screen flickering issues every 1-5 seconds and will blue screen within 2 minutes of use. I have the lastest BIOS update for my MoBo and have tried the only other available version which supports my CPU.

Without XMP enabled everything runs completely perfectly.

Enabling XMP but manually setting the speeds to 3200MHz also runs completely perfectly, but anything higher causes the same issues. The issues persist when trying to enable XMP with either stick being run by themselves.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting? The DRAM calculator doesnt support Zen 3 yet, and even so, Thaiphoon is unable to get the DIE information for my RAM sticks, so I am unable to get the required information.

Full Build List:
CPU: Ryzen 5800x
MoBo: Gigabyte B550i AORUS PRO AX
RAM: Viper Steel RGB 2x16GB 3600MHz (Part No. PVSR432G360C0K)
GPU: EVGA FTW3 RTX 3070
PSU: Corsair RM650x

Solution
Look closely at the Memory section at the following link:
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/B550I-AORUS-PRO-AX-rev-10/sp#sp

You'll see that anything above 3200 is considered overclocking. Memory speed is dependent on 3 items: the motherboard, the CPU, and, of course, the DRAM modules. They must all work at the desired speed for you to attain that speed. Overclocking, by definition, is working outside the guaranteed specifications. So it doesn't matter what the memory speed advertised is if the other 2 components don't guarantee that speed, it is a hit or miss proposition.

You'll see that anything above 3200 is considered overclocking. Memory speed is dependent on 3 items: the motherboard, the CPU, and, of course, the DRAM modules. They must all work at the desired speed for you to attain that speed. Overclocking, by definition, is working outside the guaranteed specifications. So it doesn't matter what the memory speed advertised is if the other 2 components don't guarantee that speed, it is a hit or miss proposition.

Solution

Joe boyd

Honorable
Sep 19, 2014
re

Yeh that makes, unfortunately. Is there a difference between overclocking and "supporting XMP profiles"? Is XMP actually anything different from ocing (as in, is it just a factory OC or something else)

Also, I appreciate the heads up, but I'm sure you're aware that there are some steps that might give me better odds at getting it to work, which is why I am making this thread.

re

Yeh that makes, unfortunately. Is there a difference between overclocking and "supporting XMP profiles"? Is XMP actually anything different from ocing (as in, is it just a factory OC or something else)

Also, I appreciate the heads up, but I'm sure you're aware that there are some steps that might give me better odds at getting it to work, which is why I am making this thread.
Yep, a factory OC more or less - but still not guaranteed. It's called XMP by intel and DOCP by AMD.

TRENDING THREADS